So depressed - Gaining Weight

Lori F.
on 9/14/12 1:59 pm
I had gastric bypass in Feb 2010 and w/in a year lost approx. 130 lb.  But now I am steadily climbing and have gained 30 lb back.  I don't want to gain anymore.  I can honestly say I have not been the best as to what I have eaten, finding out that I don't dump ... But what I need is someone to tell me that there is still a chance of losing the weight I gained.  I need assistance on what to actual eat.  I know the whole protein thing, etc. but I need actual recipes of really easy/convenient meals that actually make me FULL.  It seems I can eat anything these days and still not get full or satisfied and so I graze, thus the weight gain.  I need support and quick!   Has anyone had gastric bypass and taken appetite suppressents?  Thanks for listening. 
Leslie P.
on 9/14/12 3:46 pm - Yucca Valley, CA
Hey Lori,

I know what worked for me was to plan out me meals in writing, tracking my calories, fats, carbs and proteins and then come on here and be accountable.  I didn't necessarily dump either.  I found that out my 11th month out.  I found out I could eat chocolate, pastries etc and I ate those things.  I also found out that if I got hypoglycemic and put more sugar on top of it, I evened out.  At first I didn't gain weight.  I would straighten out, eat right, then go off and eat crap - sugar, chips, fast food, etc.  What scared me was when I started gaining and not loosing.  The idea that I was going to go back where I had come from terrified me.  I decided to stop eating the sugar.  That was the first thing I did.  And then I came to this Forum and posted.  Hit or miss, but I ended up coming back to be accountable.  That really works well for me.  The other thing I had to do for me was go back to Overeaters Anonymous.  I was in the program before surgery but had left prior to surgery thinking that I wouldn't need it.  WRONG.  Anyway, thats a story for another time.  If you want we can talk about it privately.

Anyway, what I do today is cook a bunch of simple things in advance, measure out 1 cup servings and freeze them.  White chicken chili, split pea and ham soup, this southwest chicken cheese quinoa casserole.  There are carbs in all of these things so some people may not agree with eating them, but they are real whole food, high protein, and filling.  Having them on call in the freezer has made it easy for me to grab and go.  And they are delicious.  I also buy a high protein bread and make ham/cheese sandwiches with it which is something I eat almost 3-4 times a week.  I have a couple of standards for breakfast and dinners.  It isn't high excitement but it works and it helped me go from a re-gain that took me back up from 195 to 208 back down to 185.  I try to stay between 1600-1800 calories.  So far all of this has worked.  And I am not perfect.  Lately I have been struggling with snacking while waiting for dinner to be ready.  But I will keep coming back.  I really do not want to go back. 

Man I am wordy today.  I hope there is something in all of this that is helpful.  I am out of town Saturday but if you want I can send you info on some of the things I eat.  Scroll through some of the posts and you'll see.

High Weight:  394                     Surgery Weight:  345

Here's to never forgetting where I came from so I never have to return...
Lori F.
on 9/14/12 6:44 pm
Thank you so much Leslie.  I would love to get the recipes for all  the foods you mention.  I think planning is one of my main problems.  I was trying to stay at 1300 calories and was logging it and everything and still I was not losing.  I had tried exercising for a month too and still nothing.  I am not at the gym right now, because my schedule at work has changed.  I just know I am very fearful of returning to weight I was and I can't have that happen.  Sometimes I wonder if the staple line has opened up and all my food is going into my "old stomach" but perhaps I am just not eating the right foods that fill up the pouch, but slide thru instead. 
kurlytreses
on 9/21/12 1:17 pm
Hi! I am struggling with a weight gain also. I started at over 270 and got down to 196 (not as low as I had hoped) and now I am back up to 206! :( I plan on starting the 5 day pouch diet (even though I had the gastric sleeve). Look it up, I have a lot of friends that have done it and it seems to get your stomach shrunk back to where it needs to be and you usually drop some weight also! 
Most Active
Recent Topics