Four years ago today....

lynnc99
on 7/15/13 2:28 am

It's a reflective day for me, as I think back four years. About this time of day on July 15, 2009, I was headed into surgery. I wasn't afraid. I trusted my doctor implicitly and was honestly more afraid about what would happen if I did NOT have surgery.

Where am I today? From my lowest weight of 155 lbs. I have bounced up 15, to 170. Some of the habits that I adopted while losing have eroded, and I need to put myself back on the straight and narrow. I am back to drinking diet soda and, some days, skimp on water. Not as meticulous as I need to be about not drinking 30 minutes after a meal. I don't log my food (truth is, I was never very good about that). 

As far as food goes, I indulge in food with sugar from time to time. But I am aware and afraid of the negative effects that those indulgences cause. For example, last week we had house guests and I had a small bowl of regular ice cream. It put me as close to dumping as I've been in 3 years. And sugar free ice cream isn't any better....the sugar alcohols set me off something fierce. I eat bread products occasionally, but can leave them alone too. Pasta doesn't agree with me so I use spaghetti squash with my homemade sauce. No rice. A bowl of cereal is a recipe for disaster - I feel terrible after eating it, even if it "sounds so good."

Even some healthy foods don't sit well, so I know that for me, oranges are a better choice than apples, and to choose Greek yogurt over Dannon Light and Fit. 

Most days, I still have a protein shake for breakfast and another for a snack (I use the RTD Atkins shakes these days).  My husband does a lot of our cooking, and we eat a lot of fish and fresh veggies.  I snack on greek yogurt, almonds, or fruit. I have a low tolerance for overly salty foods. But - that said - every so often I love a slice of pizza or a hot dog (yes, with a bun). Go figure. 

I had let exercise lapse over the past year or so with our move, but am back to aerobics classes at least 3 times a week. I enjoy it - just hard to pry myself out the door some days. Those old vegetative habits are indeed still there, waiting for me to pick them up again. I have to be aware of that. They are lurking....

The vitamin regimen is just part of everyday life. I watch for BOGO specials and stock up, and have a little ritual of setting up my vitamins every week. 

I know many post ops look at plastics as a next step. I have been lucky in that my legs, arms, and butt look okay (for a woman of 57. Which may not be saying much!) But the part that was very hard for me was my neckline, which really looked wrinkled and saggy after weight loss. Last October, I had a face lift done. My mom helped cover the cost, which was the only way I could have managed to do it, and it was a great decision. While I could probably use a tummy tuck, I didn't want to get into a full surgical recovery period, and didnt want to spend the $$, so for right now I will keep my one piece swimsuits handy. 

I feel terrific. Losing weight was the BEST decision I have made in my life. I am more confident and self assured than at any point in my entire life. I know without a doubt that obesity would have hindered my job search two years ago, as well as advancement (and hey, I just got a promotion!)  It pains me to realize and recognize that obese people in our society are subject to such painful discrimination....I was subject to that, as were many of you. 

My maintenance plan is sketchy, but mostly guided by my clothing. I know, I know....all sizes are not created equal. But I have a threshold size that I will NOT go over, so if things get snug, I just crank up the water and veggies. Kicking the exercise back in has helped too. The other tool I use is my old drivers license. It's in my purse all the time. 

I have moved to FL since my surgery and here, nobody really knows I had surgery. I've told a few people that I've lost a lot of weight. They act like they can't believe it, which is unbelievable to me. Don't I look "formerly fat"? Can't they tell? 

fernfrog
on 7/15/13 2:50 pm - CA

When I read posts like this I just wish there was a "like" button. I'm also four years out. Great job, you sound like you've got your head around it. Blessings to you on your continued journey!

LittleOne1139
on 7/25/13 9:27 pm

Congrats  on your  success  of  living a  healthy  life  style!!  I  am  right  there  with  you  my  choice  of  having  the  surgery  was  the  best  thing  I  have  ever  done  for  my  self ...  I  believe  we  will  live  successful  if  we  never  loose  site  of  where  we  come  from!!  :-) 

Fre
on 8/16/13 12:35 am

October 9 will be my 4-year date.  I went from 300 pounds to 201, then back to 236, now I am at 223.5.  My original goal (still my goal) is 170.  I can eat most anything but yeah, ice cream is a no-no.  though I have found that if it is made WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup I can have a small amount with no real problem.  Small being no more than two tablespoons.  I was doing so good but fell back into my bad habits.  Not getting into the gym though my membership is current.  I had some odd illness last year, most all year, that stumped the doctors but left me unable to breathe and in a good bit of pain.  It is now resolved so my excuse is gone as far as getting into the gym goes. 

I'm slack on vitamin taking.  In short, I'm a lousy patient!  I love the support I get here in the Raleigh NC area (Barbara Cumbo rocks!) but it seems every time their saturday meeting rolls around, I'm out of town, and everytime the week night meetings roll around, I have no money for dinner at the restaurant and I know I'll be hungry so I just do not go.  excuses excuses.

what is your ritual for setting up your vitamins?  I like the sound of that.  

I can eat pasta. I can eat bread.  I can eat donuts and some cake.  I have stretched my pouch out to the point that I can sometimes eat an entire sandwich.  

I'm on a mission though and now I have the tools to complete my mission.  I have been successful at taking negatives out of my life (for the most part) and have a NEW outlook!  

This is my first post, first visit  to this site in probably 3 years.  

lynnc99
on 8/16/13 2:01 am
I got 6 pill containers and set up my vitamins 6 weeks at a time. These are the simple containers - one cubby per day, Sunday thru Saturday. I did get the ones that offer a slightly larger size, but not ridiculously huge.

Then the assembly line begins. Line up the containers, lids snapped open. Drop the correct dosage of each vitamin into each....snap the lids shut, and I'm done for 6 weeks.

Here's the caveat. My calcium tablets don't fit. So those stay in the cabinet, and I put 3 a day into a small bathroom size paper cup each morning. I take the majority of my vitamins (multi, one calcium, B1, and B12 ) in the morning. The other multi and one dose of calcium come int he evening. 3rd dose of calcium when I get home from work.

I've also found that some chewable multis don't fit very well. Right now I am pleased to have found Kirkland mature multi at Costco - Greg price point and moderately sized tablets for a multivitamin.

And at the most basic level....every day the compartment should be empty at the end of the day! It's a visual reminder if I miss. It eliminates the need to haul out the vitamin bottled every single day or clutter up the counter.
md131s
on 9/29/13 10:25 am

I really enjoyed reading your post.  Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics