Hi, all!

AnneGG
on 12/15/13 4:53 am

Just lost a long post, arg!

I'm back after a long absence from OH for various reasons. Mostly I'm looking for support and inspiration- there isn't a lot out there for long-timers- and will provide same. Also, while I knew maintenance would be hard, the experience of doing it day by day is a whole other animal.

I'm 3 ½ years out from RNY. I have been able to pretty much maintain at goal- I did gain 10 lbs several months ago, and managed to claw it back off. I am so scared of regain and long term complications! I also am in much better health, which I am grateful for.

I have a question and would like some tips for what is working for you.    Through trial and error, this is what is working for me so far. My life is now so different after WLS. Exercise is first priority just because I don't like doing it. I use my puppy Sasha as inspiration- she needs her exercise, after all! Eyeballing portions and limiting myself to that. Logging when needed to correct. Being grateful for my small tummy. And vitamins faithfully. Weighing daily to keep myself in check. Lots of low fat popcorn. I keep myself very busy now with lots of outside activities. I walk the stairs anything less than 5 flights. Yoga and meditation. Therapy if needed. Challenging my strong pull towards self sabotage- that's the hardest for me. Just doing what I need to do, forcing myself when I need to. Not being at all perfect, but correcting course as soon as I can.   Anything else I could be doing? What's working for you?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

datachick
on 12/16/13 12:16 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Hi-I am only 14 months post VSG, but have a thought for you. I pretty much do everything you said that you do, but feeling like i need some kind of something in my life that will make me have to keep myself in shape. i've dabbled with a few sports, and even applied for jobs that are physical. But lately my trainer has suggested i check out fitness/physique competitions, and while i don't care for the bikinis, tanning, high heels or having to do some kind of routine, i'm really starting to consider it because it means staying in shape all year and then a coupla months of serious work to get in shape for a competition (I'm 50, so it's never too late). So, maybe i won't end up doing this particular thing, but you get the gist; To protect myself from me, I need something more than "I just want to be healthy" to keep me in line, and i'm trying to find what that is before i "need" it.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your story, it makes me feel like i'm on the right track.

Ginger

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

AnneGG
on 12/16/13 5:55 am

Hey, thanks for your reply, Ginger. I'm afraid that at 63, my possibilities for body building are pretty slim! Besides, I sag and bag all over the place. But what I'm hearing you say is that having something that pulls you along is useful, the way a friend of mine is a personal trainer. Even having a hobby would help. I try to stay as busy as I can with volunteer work in addition to my regular work, social events, learning bridge, etc.,which is a lot more than I did pre WLS. My health has been a major concern for me with several conditions pre-op, so it is a good push for me, especially to have many of them resolved now. I want them to stay that way!

Thanks for your suggestion- I'll be thinking about it!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

illinois Gama D.
on 12/18/13 10:25 am

Well You painted a pretty rosy picture of how it is going for you , so i am not sure what else you would need us to tell you to do? keep on keeping on!!!!!

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Laura in Texas
on 12/19/13 12:31 am

I weigh myself a few times a week. It's hard to live in denial if you see the number on the scale. I used to weigh daily, but being 5 years out I am not as obsessed as I was before.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics