almost 5 years out and regain

cpcampbell
on 2/7/14 12:36 am

Greetings,

I'm out almost 6yrs and last year I went through the same thing as you - I gained almost 30 pounds.  I kept it very simple and went back to basics. To get a jump start I did the 5-day Pouch test. I lost 9 lbs in one week and it was not hard at all at that point to stay focused.  I lost the regain plus an extra 2-lbs.  Happy to say 'no regain.'

~ Carla

RNY - September 2008

Under Goal

Elaine Bedgood
on 2/27/14 7:53 am - Appling, GA

Hi Carla.....I don't mean to sound stupid but what is the5-day Pouch test.  I am also trying to get back on track and it's tuff!!!

Kim S.
on 2/7/14 1:13 am - Helena, AL

You are doing the right thing! Accept responsibility for what you've done, form a plan and DO IT.  Move forward, DO NOT LOOK BACKWARD. I have not regained-well, let me be clear.  Not a significant amount...I usually gain about 5ish pounds around the holidays each year.  I do "up" the running after the holidays and that seems to have me back to normal by February.  The main thing that saves me from regain is the amount of exercise I do....if I ever have to slow down, I'll have to modify my eating!!

We are here for you-you've got this!

enufisenuf
on 2/7/14 3:02 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Sounds very familiar.  I'm 3.5 yrs out...started the regain suddenly 1.5 years ago (40+ lbs in 5 mo.) after an intestinal infection and meds.  Pouch is still ok (had endoscope) but hunger is back.  Now it is just a matter of confidence that I CAN lose weight and maintain it.  I'm sure it is 90% mental as I know what I SHOULD do.  I guess complicating factors of reactive hypoglycemia, gerd and anemia have made me a little afraid to be as gung-ho as I was when I first started my eating program post-surgery.  I, too, know what I need to do just need to do it.  This is where support groups etc. really help you get your confidence back.  Hope you find the right mix of diet & support to get you back to your goal. 

lisam2003
on 2/10/14 8:43 am - TN

Hi,

You are not alone; there are many of us who are struggling with the regain.  I began my journey at 280 pounds in 2003,  I reached 143 pounds in 14 months.  It was a battle for every stinking pound.  I felt good.  I was So glad at that time to walk into regular stores pull something off the misses rack and wear it.  It was so easy then.  I loved how I looked and enjoyed shopping for the very first time in my life  I did not have any skin removal or tucks.  I could not afford it and my insurance would not cover it.  I didn't care though.  I was content.  I maintained for several years with a pound of regain here and there.  Then in 2009 I went through some serious emotional upheavels and put on 10 pounds.  Still I was sort of okay with it.  155-165 up and down here and there.  Then in Dec 2012 my husband and I made a life change.  We moved from Alabama where I had lived for forty years, we left our youngest son who was 22 at the time in our home while we tried to sell it. He wasn't ready to leave his friends.  I left a very good job that I had worked very hard to "move up the ladder" in.  I stayed home for four months trying to get our home set up.  Then I had to buy uniforms and that was a nightmare.  From a medium and small I had BALLOONED to an extra large.  I had not even brought the scale with me from Alabama.  I had to see a doctor for a medication refill and that was the moment I dreaded....the scales said 209!  I cannot explain what went through me.  I am fighting with all I have in me and I am at 199.  I want to reach all the way back to 150.  I've got a long road to travel.  I started with reinstituting water.  focusing on protein and better choices for snacks.  We can prove that regain can be re"LOST".  I'm with you!

Lisa

Keepingon
on 2/14/14 1:29 pm

Always good to know we are not alone! I am up 30 lbs from my lowest weight. Have sunk back into depression and failure mode but I am going to USE MY TOOL! I have got to get back to the basics and start over with the 5 day pouch test. And if I am really honest with myself, I never followed the rules exactly anyhow! See where it got me! So this is my turning point. Thank you all for being honest with your struggles. I am here to help support and encourage anyone who needs it. I certainly do! Putting my plan on paper: 5 day pouch test and omitting slider foods from my diet. 

Does anyone care to share their meals they are eating? I think for us folks that have had the surgery years ago, intake is different. We have hunger again! I am looking for meal ideas. Thanks and good luck to all!

KeepingOn!

Sarah K.
on 4/3/14 3:50 am - Orting, WA

Hey there... I am in the exact same boat as you... exact same sizes as well.  I have started eating healthy again and exercising in the last 10 days or so... You posted this on January 31st.. How has it been going?  Made progress?

Most Active
Recent Topics