I don't even know anymore

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/14 9:07 am

I'm almost 7 years out and I maintained my weight loss up until last year. And it seems like I'm just gaining faster and faster. I cannot POSSIBLY eat more perfect than I already am. And my jeans just keep getting tighter. I'm 196lbs now (from 180) and living on 1300 calories a day. This does not seem humanly possible to gain on that. And I can't live on 800 calories a day or something insane like that. I get constantly dizzy and lethargic when I drop below where I am now. Exercise would not even be possible. And I'm so incredibly depressed over this. It feels so hopeless. WHY is this not working anymore after working for me for years?!

I really need help and I don't know where to turn.

jimjayhawk
on 2/14/14 6:22 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

a good place to start would be your nutritionist or one at a local bariatric center

Kathy G.
on 2/14/14 9:07 pm - IL

when was your last physical and blood test?  your blood pressure could be too high or too low, your thyroid could be off or maybe you are anemic. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/14 3:51 am

I have somewhat low blood pressure -- about 95/68 on average. I have chronically low iron, and no insurance to get infusions. But I'm not anemic, technically. H&H are really good. All my other vitamins are fine.

I've given up battling doctors over my thyroid. My Free T3 is below normal and my antibodies are high, indicating obvious Hashimoto's. But my TSH is 2, so I'm ignored. I supposed my body will have to ompletely destroy my thyroid before they'll bother.

Laura in Texas
on 2/15/14 3:21 am

Are you measuring your portions?? We tend to think a serving size is larger than it really is.

Why can't you exercise?? Have you talked to your doctor???

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/14 3:48 am, edited 2/15/14 3:58 am

I mean, exercise would not be possible if I dropped to 800 calories, which is a common (and scary) suggestion around here for losing regain. I didn't mean i'm not exercising now.

I do measure. I eat 4oz of lean protein and the rest in vegetables and other things in a meal. I still have good restriction.

That's why I say, I can't be any better than already am. Someone at my weight and calorie intake SHOULD NOT freaking gain weight.

And, what doctor? I haven't had contact with my surgeon since my surgery.

Here's a very typical day for me:

Breakfast, 2 eggs, 2 thin slices of bacon.

Snack: fruit

Lunch: Tuna sandwich or garden salad with grilled chicken and homemade dressing (low fat greek yogurt with some ranch dressing powder is common, and so is oil and vinegar)

Snack: Protein shake or nothing

Dinner: 1 meat, 1 green leafy vegetable (or small salad) and sometimes a starchy vegetable or bread.

That's it. And I log it all in MyFitnessPal.

Laura in Texas
on 2/15/14 6:43 am

It does look like you are doing everything right. I hope you can figure something out.

Some people do have to keep their calories lower than 1300 to maintain, but it is weird that at 7 years out this changed for you. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/14 6:54 am

And I've even cut back calories too. My maintenance WAS 1500 calories a day. I've been doing 1300 for awhile now to try to stop the gain and I'm still gaining. I'm sure some of the thinner WLS patients can maintain on 1300, that makes sense. But I am almost 200lbs and 5'5. Something isn't right. 

I'm going gluten-free paleo (redundant?) and trying some natural thyroid supplements suggested by the experts. My hands, feet and face are so swollen and puffy lately it's ridiculous. I'm struggling to even think straight anymore. 

faylynn23
on 2/16/14 8:15 am - College Park, MD

I am wandering since you say you have swelling, if your protein count is low.  When our protein levels are low sometimes it causes edema.  It sound like you are retaining fluid.  How long have you had the swelling?

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/14 8:40 am

I get it off and on often, but the last round has gone for a good 1.5 weeks. I eat about 80-100g of protein a day which is what I've always done (save some experiments eating much higher amounts) and my protein on my labs stays right around 7. 

Most Active
Recent Topics