Seizures after RNY

Kari K.
on 3/21/14 10:36 am

I am 4 and a half years out from a gastric bypass. I have lost and kept off all but about 20 lbs. a few days ago, I had a seizure while I was teaching at school. My friend told me it could be related to my surgery. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this? 

Laura in Texas
on 3/21/14 9:49 pm

Beth writes about her seizures on her blog. HERE is a link.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ljababy
on 3/29/14 10:01 pm - Belleville, MI

hello... I had my surgery in 2007. In 2013 I actually had a seizure on two different occasions, and they found out it was from my sugar bottoming out. When the ambulance got to my house during the second seizure my sugar was at 24. The only thing that I can put together that I had during all three episodes was a bowl of cereal. And to this day, I'm not totally sure why it happened. I just stay the heck away from cereal!!

Sharon J.
on 4/9/14 1:52 pm - Pensacola, FL
Sharon J.
on 4/9/14 1:53 pm - Pensacola, FL

That is interesting to hear.  I have tried on several occasions to add cereal as a breakfast food, but it continues to make me dump almost immediately regardless of the kind of cereal.  Maybe having milk with the cereal is the culprit.  I can eat plain cereal and it does not cause that to happen.  I am six years out from RNY and do have spells of what I call hypoglycemia if too much time elapses between meals or if I eat a sugary food without any protein.  All in all, I am still happy with my decision to have the surgery.  Take care of yourself.

Most Active
Recent Topics