5 YR PO- serious complication

Jellybean1414
on 3/23/14 1:00 am, edited 3/23/14 1:17 pm

I was a member of this board a few years ago and have gradually slacked off from posting as I've gotten into the routine that life is life now and everything is fine as I continue to follow the rules and maintain my health.

I need to stress the importance that complications can still arise from this surgery years later. I had a completely successful RNY surgery with no complications at all. I've lost 130lbs and kept it off. 

I was in severe pain recently and was taken to the ER only to be sent home and told to take Ex lax because the doctor felt I was constipated.  I had severe pain under the middle of my breast bone.  I was already taking laxitives since I hadn't had a bowel movement in a week.  A few days later I returned to the ER because the pain would not subside.  I was brought in for emergency surgery due to a twisted bowel.   I knew in the beginning if there were problems, go back to the hospital where I had the surgery because they know the procedures, but at this far out it's not necessarily the first thing we think of because hey, if it's been this long everything is fine right?!   Twisted bowel is in fact a long term complication of this surgery and you need to DEMAND a CT Scan if you are in severe pain.  An Xray and Ultra sound wont see this  (they did both on me when I went in the first time)

Please read over your information and remind yourselves of the complications long term and the warning signs.  This could save your life one day. 

Mac333
on 3/23/14 8:39 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Sorry for all your problems. Sincerly hope it had been taken care of and you are feeling better. I may be a little tired this evening but I don't see the type of surgery you had. Are you refering to all bariatric surgery?

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

Jellybean1414
on 3/23/14 11:54 am, edited 3/23/14 11:55 am

I had RNY, however I would suggest doing research on whichever type of surgery you have.

I am still on the mend as this only happened recently.  Listen to your body and remember your stomach is not going to present a twisted bowel where a "normal" person would present.  do your reseach on this forum because when I did, the answers were here exactly to a T on what I was feeling. 

Joan G.
on 3/23/14 11:47 am

At five years this happened to me.  Then I had gall bladder taken out.  I got c-diff while in the hospital.  Had one really tough year.  Much better now.  Do as JellyBean says!  Could save your life.  Dr. Oakley was my doc and he took very good care of me.  Hope you are doing well.

Jellybean1414
on 3/24/14 10:47 pm

I thought that the doctors generally took the gallbladder when they did the surgery if you still had it.  It's scary to hear what other people went through but I think it's important to remind people.  Refresh yourself on what you knew when you were newly out of surgery.

KimiJo75
on 3/25/14 4:18 am

Glad to hear you're doing better!  I too had a twisted bowel about 2 years post op, that was about 10 years ago.  Even now, whenever anything causes me to go to the ER, the first thing out of my mouth to them is about my RNY. 

GinaRN
on 4/1/14 11:04 pm

Thank you Jellybean for sharing! As a 6yr. post op AND a bariatric coordinator, I can't help but stress how right you are! most ED docs don't have the training on a bariatric post-op and resort to medical differentials that are done on "normal" anatomical patients. Sometimes by the time it "hurts" it may be more complicated than it could have been. Know your body!

Jen Lyn
on 4/5/14 7:18 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Thanks for sharing. I hope you heal well very soon.

OregonGal2014
on 4/22/14 11:16 am

Yes this happened to me too.  Three or four years post surgery.  I was told that when we lose fat in the abdomen, it leaves a lot of open space for organs to float and migrate.  After the emergency surgery to repair this, I gained back about 40 lbs, I have stayed steady at the weight with no additional problems.  I am still active and mostly healthy and I personally feel that the extra weight helps to keep me at less risk for a repeat of this particular complication.  I also experienced some anemia when I got lax about taking vitamins but now I'm back on track.

Yes, a CTscan was the diagnostic tool and I was in so much pain that I was screaming and I made the forceful point that there was no "sending me home".  I'm glad you are having good results now and I hope that continues.

Most Active
Recent Topics