ulcer from surgery ?

mama_dee54
on 5/7/14 1:26 am

I wanted to ask those of you who have made it to your goal, How many of you got an ulcer from the surgery ? 

Ocalasam
on 5/7/14 9:59 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I got one about six months after surgery.  I didn't do anything that would have caused it.  I take an acid reducer daily and that seems to work.

mama_dee54
on 5/7/14 10:54 pm

Thanks, glad to know they can help it if it happens.

HarvestMoon1974
on 5/13/14 1:24 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I developed a serious one, several years after my surgery. It caused severe scarring of my stoma, which led to a stricture so bad that I couldn't keep anything down. I had a revision on May 1, and it was all removed. I feel amazing, now that it's all been fixed. 

My case is extreme, but it can happen. Be sure to follow all of your surgeon's guidelines, and hopefully you can avoid any problems.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Bibo
on 5/15/14 12:28 pm

I got one about a month after my surgery. I didn't do anything i wasn't supposed to do...they gave me carafate and it healed, but if I stop taking the carafate it comes back. (it's a liquid med that tastes like chalk, and works kind of like radiator sealant....same idea...) I take that 4x a day and also two PPI's.  It doesn't really hurt, and the key is to stay hydrated.  It does affect what other kinds of meds I can take, which gets to be a trick......some pain killers are out, obviously, and also acidic food...tomatoes, oranges, any kind of ketsup or BBQ sauce...it's kind of disconcerting to be aware of it, and at the same time, it healed, and no complications after that, other than having to take the med. I also had three other (non-related) surgeries as a post op, and had no problems with the ulcer coming back.

mama_dee54
on 5/15/14 10:00 pm

oh, I have not had my surgery yet and go for my scope next friday. I am getting scared of the complications that can happen so it is nice to get feed back from people who have been through it all. Thanks!

Bibo
on 5/16/14 3:14 am

It didn't happen to anyone else in the support group i go to face to face, and my good friend had an open RNY twenty years ago with no complications at all. I also got to my goal weight.......complications were happening in my life without the WLS.....I had a TIA, diabetes, cancer, etc....I believe this surgery gave me a shot at a new life. And,  go to my doctors now and don't have to have the "diet and exercise" lecture...I actually get real medical treatment for real medical issues.

Most Active
Recent Topics