low b-12 and anemia

Lori63
on 5/11/14 11:33 am - New Rochelle, NY

I am 6 years out from gastric bypass and have maintained a 100 pound weight loss with some ups and downs. I was recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia due to depleted store of B-12 and low iron. I'd been feeling ill for a while and my doctor did bloodwork and put me through a round of tests and procedures to ensure that it was from the bypass and not from any other condition, like a bleeding polyp.  I had a round of B-12 shots and now having ashot one a month plus daily iron and B-12 sublinguially.

I felt like I was improving, but my blood count continues to drop. I can handle work but not much more. I did some major spring cleaning this weekend and today I am  barely able to get out of bed.  I'm 59, have a busy job, kids, and am able to become a grandmother. I'm not interested in becoming a recluse! Sometimes I get scared that it something else and at times, I feel like I'm going to end up in the hospital. My doctor says next is infusions, which I would have to have for life. Is anyone out there having similar problems and symptoms?

Thank you, 

Lori

GinaDC
on 5/13/14 7:17 am

I had the RnY surgery 13,1/2 yrs ago. For the past 8 years, I have had iron infusions regularly. The treatments are expensive even with insurance, but they allow me to no longer be short of breath, have a grayish skin tone and be able to function as a human being. I am 41, a busy mom of 3. I highly recommend the iron infusions before you develop more serious health problems. And yes, this will continue for the rest of our lives. 

Good luck!

Gina

Most Active
Recent Topics