LOSING THE FIGHT-GAINING AFTER -140 POUND SUCCESS

broken2beautiful2013
on 7/24/14 1:19 am

I had VSG surgery on August of 2012.  I lost a total of -140 pounds!  I have now gained 40 of it back.  I am going down the same compulsive eating, food addiction road.  I am scared.  I am working hard to get control.  Any suggestions...help...advice....?  Anyone been there?

Ladytazz
on 7/27/14 1:55 pm

It sounds like you know that you are a compulsive overeater.  That is a good thing.  So many are in denial.  WLS is a good tool in the war against food addiction but it isn't a cure.  I wish I had easy answers but there is never an easy answer when it comes to addiction.

I out ate my first WLS and failed miserably due to my food addiction.  I had a revision not to lose weight but to address side effects that took away my quality of life.  Since I was having a revision anyway I decided to take advantage of this second chance and use my past experience to my benefit.

It wasn't easy but having major surgery, being sedated and on pain meds made detoxing for the carbs bearable.  After a few weeks the cravings were gone.  Now it is up to me to remember not to awaken those cravings again by eating those foods that will trigger my food addiction into active mode.

Counseling, self help groups, OA programs are all available to help us and give us support.  It can be done.  I am proof.  I just celebrated 4 years since I have practiced my addiction.  I know I am not cured and I am always diligent not to go down that road again.  All I can say is take it one day at a time.  If you can, tough it out cold turkey.  Keep those things that you are addicted to far away.  If your family can't live without them ask them to do it away from the house.  I can't see your family not wanting to support you in any way they can.

The bad news is you are still a food addict.  The good news is you still have a valuable tool in your battle against practicing that addiction.  Use it to help you eat less and to eat better.  It is still the best thing we have going in this fight against our addiction.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Eggface
on 7/28/14 10:19 am - Sunny Southern, CA

The only time we fail is when we stop fighting... by you recognizing their is a problem and posting you have proven you are fighting... next step get professional help. It's an issue that has proven itself to be beyond your ability alone to solve. Get into your Dr and tell him/her everything you just shared and more... ask for help. Easier to turn the tide on 40 then 140 ;)

Come back here often and share good & bad days... it's soooo important to have a support system... if you have a local group go. LT suggestion of OA is a great one too. It's a war... build your team of fighters, weapons.

Good vibes, prayers to you.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

jastypes
on 8/5/14 3:25 am - Croydon, PA

Yup, been there, done that.  Also re-lost all the weight I re-gained, plus more.  I engaged the help of a dietician from my surgeon's office, took advantage of the WLS support group there, and also work the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

butrflygrl_67
on 8/29/14 12:22 am - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

but what do you do when your dr no longer does surgery and he does not have a nut working for him..he basically doesn't have an office andymore  bc he is doing more charity work in Africa..i have regained 70 of my 100 pounds lost..i am o a lot of meds that cause you to gain weight and make you hungry all the time..i can't exercise bc of my many health issues I have now..the carb monster has a VERY tight grip on me..ugh!!  just feel so lost

jastypes
on 8/29/14 12:28 am - Croydon, PA

There are definitely steps you can take toward better health.  I recommend:  1)  Find a dietician in your area by calling your insurance company.  2) Check around for other bariatric communities that might offer open support groups -- you can check here on OH.com for your state and post there.  3) Look for an Overeaters Anonymous group in your area -- there are also on-line meetings and support.  Just google their website.  4) Tell your prescribing physician about the weight gain issues and see if there are alternate medications without that particular side effect. 

Honestly, carbs can be addicting, particularly sugar and white flour.  Some people find the only way to manage that is to abstain, the same way an alcoholic abstains from alcohol.  I have to do that with sugar.  Overeaters Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope to other compulsive overeaters.  It is a wonderful, free, readily available program.

No one can do this for you.  You have to be proactive! 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

deannhuss
on 9/12/14 6:40 am - Pensacola, FL

I'm doing the same. I've gained back 50 pounds. I'm looking for help to. I need support and motivation as well !!!

Most Active
Recent Topics