do anyone know anywhere to get free vitamins

eseats
on 9/5/14 9:16 am - GA
RNY on 09/16/14

I have my surgery on September 16,2014 and is very scared because I do not have any of the vitamins that I will need for the gastric bypass surgery. I have been reading a lot of posts about taking the vitamins are very important. Is the vitamins really that important to have after surgery.

##ProudMommyof3!!!!##

Ladytazz
on 9/6/14 3:06 pm

Not really unless you value your health :)

Seriously, you need to take your vitamins or the consequences can be bad.  I learned the hard way.

Did your surgeon give you a list of vitamins to take?

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says all RNY folks need two multivitamins a day, 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate, iron, and B12.  They also say RNY patients usually need extra D3, at least 3000 iu a day and they say a B complex is optional. This is forever.  Your surgeon should have discussed this with you.

These are the minimums.  You should also have regular labs done and supplement anything that is low.  Keep records and watch for anything trending downwards.  Don't wait until you are deficient as it will be much harder to catch up by them.

It really shouldn't be that expensive.  I stock up during sales, buy one, get one free deals.  Check online for good prices.

And it is also important that you get in enough protein.  Believe me, you will regret it if you don't.

Many can eat enough to meet their needs.  I still need to supplement to get in enough.

There are some places that will give you samples but not enough for a long time.  There is no need to buy expensive bariatric vitamins but make sure that fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K are in dry form since we don't absorb fat as well after surgery.  And make sure your B12 is sublingual, a shot or spray since our stomachs no longer have the intrinsic factor needed to absorb it.

I would guess I spend very little a month on vitamins because I have a stock pile from sales.  Whenever the store near me has a buy one, get one sale I will buy more to have on hand.  Protein supplements can get spendy but I make due with Body Fortress from Walmart at $15 a canister.  I also eat a lot of chicken, which is cheap and loaded with protein.  Walmart often has their cooked chicken marked 50% off, so for about $2 I get an entire cooked chicken.  I have a food sealer so I vacuum pack it and it lasts forever.  That also help me buy in bulk when there is a good sale on meat.

Don't stress it.  It really isn't as daunting as it sounds at first but it is essential.

Take care and good luck with your surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

-Katie
on 9/11/14 7:11 am - CA

Celebrate Vitamins has an assistance program for those struggling with income. Call and ask about it. I get 50% off and Free shipping. I am on SSI.  Good Luck

with your surgery Toll Free: (877) 424-1953 [email protected]

-Katie

Awillis
on 9/15/14 5:41 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

My doc has me using Nascobal, for B12 and with it comes free Bariactiv vitamins (multi, calcium and iron). The B12 is paid by my insurance, I pay $40 copay.

mmoritz80
on 9/17/14 12:35 am - NC

I hit the local drug store when they  have a buy one get one free vitamin sale.  I use the coupons that print in their store for more discounts.  By couponing I'm able to get my vitamins very cheaply.

I had a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Procedure in the Raleigh area on June 9th, 2011 by Dr. Moran.  www.alasurgery.com            

Bibo
on 10/28/14 1:31 pm

Nutritionists can write a Rx for Insure Nutrition, which will help pay for vitamins......check them though because they are not always the kind that we can absorb easily. There is a link on this page somewhere for it

tv73841
on 7/2/15 5:13 am

Taking vitamins post op is a requirement. You absolutely need to take them or you will suffer consequences. It may not happen immediately, but it WILL happen. You will become weakened, bruise easily, your bones will become porous, you will become unable to think properly and confused. You could suffer serious issues that are irreversible such as heart failure. Don’t mess around with this. If you are going to have the procedure, be compliant and do it properly or don’t do it at all.

I personally take Vita4Life products and that’s all I require. I’ve been taking them since my surgery 6 years ago and I’ve always had excellent labs. I’ve never had deficiencies, but I’ve also always been compliant. Here’s my routine:

• Multi-Standard (1 in the morning, 1 at lunch, 1 at dinner, 1 at bed time)
  • Calcium chelate (can be taken with iron due to chelation) (3 times per day)
  • D3 (1 in the morning)
  • Sublingual B-12 (1 in the evening)
Most Active
Recent Topics