Can I really lose regained weight

brownkk
on 1/9/15 2:02 am

hi everyone!  I'm a new member and feeling absolutely helpless. Had gastric bypass 5 years ago. I knew I wasn't living right but I was absolutely embarrassed that I have gained 40 lbs.  can I really lose that much by going back to basics?  Or have I ruined my pouch and gained too much? 

severman
on 1/9/15 2:29 pm, edited 1/9/15 2:29 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Yes you can lose regain!  I regained weight due mainly due to steroids, but also some poor eating choices.  I have been able to lose most of the regain.  It is slower for me, but then again every one is different and I am a lot farther out than you!  Their is an excellent Back on Track Together group on here.  Best wishes!!!

lynnc99
on 1/9/15 11:23 pm

Well I sure hope so!

I realized back in November that I had regained 35 lbs. - 1/3 of my total weight lost. I started in earnest to get back to what I know to be the correct way to eat, with the help of a dietitian. So far I have lost about 12 lbs. It is slow, but PLEASE do what you need to do.

For me this was a crucial decision - was I going to face the problem head on? Or let the weight continue to climb? Yes, there is a feeling of helplessness, of shame, of guilt...all of that. But do what is best for YOU!!!!

brownkk
on 1/10/15 3:02 am

Thanks for lifting my spirits.  I was defeating myself before I even tried!  I got my wls Manuel out and reread it

i can do this!

lynnc99
on 1/10/15 9:00 pm

Accountability helps me a LOT. Logging my food and reporting in - a must!

Gwen M.
on 1/11/15 1:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Of course you can!  I'd recommend that you start tracking every single thing you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That will show you what you're consuming and what you need to change.  From there it's a matter of getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be a little bit different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

brownkk
on 1/11/15 2:59 am

You guys are awesome.  I appreciate all the advice.  I'm ready to get back on track!!

StephanieF.
on 1/18/15 7:50 am

I'm getting back on track, too, and I'm very relieved. It literally is a relief to just give up every other thing I've been doing and "resign myself" to the fact that I need to stop drinking with food, I need to stop eating all those carbs, and I have to get out of my desk chair and walk!

I've got some big events this year (including a big HS graduation) so I'm serious about this.    To give my pouch a chance to get back to normal size after being stretched, I am doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, eating a high protein and vegetable dinner, and another protein drink for a snack. I'm not eating rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, all the things that make me turn into an addict again! lol

Feel free to chat anytime! I'd love to compare notes as we work on restarting! I have about 45 pounds to lose..or should I say RElose. We can do this!!

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

brownkk
on 1/18/15 11:04 am

I'm with ya.  It's time for me to just get stricter about the carbs and diet in general.  I need to drink more water. I have really gotten bad about drinking things other than water.   Even diet coke...even though I know it was a no no I thought I could handle it, but I know thy I shouldn't have. I started journaling with my fitness pal this week and plan on doing better this week. With a super group like u guys maybe I can do what I need to. 😇

maggiet
on 1/12/15 3:04 am - Durham, NC

Definitely!!! I regained almost 40 lbs. But after taking a class to get me back to basics (a class during which I gained another 5lbs) I finally got into the groove again. I'm working out 5 days a week - just doing little baby step kinds of things. I'm eating more healthy and reducing portion size and it has started to become just a normal amount of food again. This time I'm really trying to be mindful when eating. Sometimes I close my eyes to taste the flavors and textures. So far I've lost about 16lbs and I know I'll reach a goal weight but more importantly, reach a goal way of life I can sustain. I'll never diet. That doesn't work. Changing my choices. That works. Good luck to you. It is hard but so much worth it. And give a yell when you feel despair. This is a good community and one whose members have probably been where you are now, wherever that is. :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics