13 YEARS AFTER RNY, BAD STOMACH PAIN AND NO HELP FROM DOC

FRONIE
on 1/20/15 8:23 am - QUINLAN, TX

Hi all. I belonged to this group 13 years ago when I had my original RNY surgery. That was in 2002. In 2007 I had to have revision surgery because of 3 ulcers on my staple line. Everything went well, I had lost 175 lbs., and had no problems after that. About a year ago I started having the same type pain I had with the ulcers in 07. I went to see my surgeon, and he treated me terribly. I was a smoker at the time, I KNOW, and he told me he could not do anything for me. No more revisions, nothing!! So. I stopped smoking, and have done pretty well, however now when ever I take my "meds", and I take several because I am a diabetic, and several other health problems I take meds for, my stomach starts burning and I have stabbing pains. Not always, but about twice a week or so. The only thing that eases the pain is MILK. That makes me think I have ulcers again. I take Omneprizole every day, but It doesn't seem to help. I will NOT got back to my original surgeon after the way he treated me last time, but it is hard for me to believe that something can't be done surgically for this. My question is, has anyone that is this far out after an RNY suffered with ulcers and had revision surgery, and can you have that done more than once? My doctor said NO, but he also acted like there was just no hope and I would probably just die from it. I swear.....and I think it was because I was a smoker at the time, and he didn't want to give me the time of day. I am looking for a new Gastric doc, but I'm scared to death that nothing can be done now, and this "pouch" is just gonna burst one day, and that will be it. He really did scare the bejeepes out of me, and made me afraid to approach any doctor with this. I would appreciate anyones imput about this problem. Thanks.....Fronie

Bibo
on 1/27/15 9:28 am, edited 1/27/15 9:31 am

Try to go to an urgent care or someplace else and get an EDG if you are even slightly dehydrated or having bad pain like that you may need some thing like carafate. That might coat your pouch and might avoid surgery. I am no doctor, but my experience was that any ER can do an Ultasound and any internist can order an endoscopy to be done at an endoscopy center, depending on your insurance. You do NOT want to let this go. SMOKING will KILL you because it will cause your stomach and your pouch to basically turn to tissue paper and then when you eat or drink any thing  it's like trying to hold a protein shake in a kleenex. That's why the doctor isn't paying attention to you. It's a liability issue. If you want to find out what's going on, try a different medical group and get scoped STOP SMOKING and take the medicine. or you already wrote down what will happen. There ARE ways to heal ulcers and perforations but it is VERY hard. Good luck.

FRONIE
on 2/9/15 8:38 am - QUINLAN, TX

Thanks Bibo....just for the record I quit smoking over a year ago. I am going to go see my gastroenterologist and see what needs to be done. I appreciate you posting.

Hmalcomrdms
on 12/30/15 4:28 pm

Hi. I was searching about pain following medications. Your symptoms on this post sound VERY similar to mine. I do not smoke, (never have), but started having pain a few times a week right after I take my nightly medications. It's literally only two pills, I make sure to drink plenty with them, and have been on both for over a year now. The pains just started about a month ago, and again, are just a few nights a week. Within the first 2 minutes of swallowing the pills, I get a sharp stabbing pain mid belly, right below my ribs. The pain is bad enough that I can't really do anything but hold/rub/wince my belly, and usually within 20-30 min later the pain is completely gone. 

My my gallbladder was removed about a year after my RNY, but it honestly feels similar to the pain associated with the gallbladder attacks. 

Tonight i I have experienced this same pain all of a sudden for about two hours without eating or drinking anything. No pills.  What in the world is this pain and how do I find out? 

What was your outcome in January?

Most Active
Recent Topics