Holidays

kyzze
on 9/18/16 10:51 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Well, the holidays are rapidly approaching and this time last year I was in my pre op stage so it was easy to just say no to all of the goodies, but now, almost a year from my VSG, I am afraid it won't be as easy, so I am asking all surgery veterans and grads what are some tips and tricks to make sure I stay on tract?

Kyzze

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/19/16 11:04 am

if you have 1 or 2 social function .. don't worry-- just have fun...but if like me you have quite a few - be prepared.

proteins protein proteins...

no matter where I go I always carry snacks with me..just for me.. special protein bar I may eat while others have dessert... 

I often bring a small dish and I MAKE sure I load my plate first...(a few times all "my protein" food was gone and the pasta salad - potato salad - fried rice thingy - was barely touched..- learned my lesson) Never go to the party hungry... eat first... good choices....

Avoid drinking while out- not only I could eat more but my choices were not as good...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 9/21/16 9:24 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

kyzze
on 9/25/16 8:34 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thank you! This is helpful.

Kyzze

MarieCeeJay
on 10/22/16 8:25 am

(From Eggface's link)
4. Learn to say "No Thank You" when offered non-weight loss surgery friendly items. "Oh Aunt Suzie thank you those look soooo good but I'm saving room for some of that *insert food you can eat* (Ideas: delicious turkey, cheese, veggie...)" and don't feel guilty about saying No. It's not your job to make everyone happy and certainly not at your health's expense.

This will be my new mantra until the holidays are over!

Out of every part of the year Oct-Jan are the most challenging about my eating. Summer is great because people love to BBQ meats so I can easily say no thanks and stick with protein. But when folks bring out their 'treats' (even the ones I don't actually care for) I get into my headspace and feel obliged to taste it.

My biggest thing is never feeling hungry or even desiring the food...It's the immense sense of obligation I feel to accept each person's invitation to try their food. It's the burning inside my heart if I have to say 'no thanks' when they offer.

Today I am remembering that my health is my priority, not someone else's emotion. After all, my emotions matter too; and I want to be happy in my healthy body!!

THANKS for posting this Eggface. Your website is AWESOMELY inspiring.

Marie.

Eggface
on 10/22/16 4:46 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Awww so glad! I feel ya... I'm Italian... we have that Catholic guilt thing but this is too important. 

You know too... what I've been doing is writing a note after... not email... handwritten heartfelt.... something you loved about the get together "you always make everyone feel so welcome, I loved your decorations,.." anything non-food so they get to know your new normal (not focused on eating) and that will soften any residual "did she have a good time, she didn't eat xyz, etc" thoughts. 

They will get used to this new healthier you!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

lynnc99
on 10/31/16 2:58 am

I host a lot of holidays so that gives me the greatest degree of control. 

BUT....

At someone else's house party, the best I can do is take a couple of dishes that I know are okay, and that others will love. I've tweaked my classic sweet potato dish to a sugar-free version. Ditto my fresh cranberry salad, and baked ricotta shuffle (which is higher in fat but better than a plate full of sugar!)

At work, my employer "generously" loads our break room with a horrifying array of sweets so that's harder. There is usually a veggie tray. But some days my best option is to take a short walk on my break or run an errand at lunchtime vs sit there with all those cookies.

fernypants
on 11/12/16 3:49 pm - MD

For those times when you really want the decadent stuff: food meditation. I know it sounds corny, but it's gotten me through a million celebrations. I purposefully focus on what I am eating and love the **** out of it, while not allowing myself to think about or dwell on what I can't have. I don't even look at the sugary/fatty stuff so that I can put it out of my mind. Instead I focus on appreciating what I can have.

For those times when it feels like the polite thing to do among colleagues/acquaintances: I have found that when I say warmly and decisively, "I'm good, but thank you very much for offering" with a big, warm smile, the strength of my sincerity and gratitude distracts them from the 'no'. It conveys "this isn't up for discussion" while also essentially praising their care and hospitality.

For those times when it feels like the polite thing to do among close friends/family: Generally these folks (in my life, at least) need a little bit higher level response, since they're the ones who won't take the decisive and warm no. For those people, I level with them ("look, I have worked so hard to get where I am, and you have been so supportive. Please continue to support me in maintaining all of the progress that I've made."). Optional for the ones who just seriously can't get a clue after that line: take a before photo with you and show them to remind them how far you've come. If they still insist, I give them a kiss on the cheek and warmly change the subject.

Good luck! xo

Cristie Ferny Pants 343/205/170
Most Active
Recent Topics