Linda W.’s Posts

Linda W.
on 10/2/18 2:21 pm
Topic: RE: POST GASTRIC BYPASS (RNY) SURGERY HYPOGLYCEMIA

Same here, but I figured it out for myself. I was diabetic prior to surgery, so I knew something weird was going on with my blood sugar. My A1C number was normal, and my early morning testing was always 95 to 105. I started taking my monitor with me and when I felt the symptoms coming on (usually the first was wacky vision), I immediately tested. Seeing 40's and 50's made me realize something was definitely off, so I paid more attention to what I ate prior to this happening. Turns out carbs, in the form of bread, cookies, anything sweet, was the culprit. I stick to protein and veggies, with a little bit of fruit, and I'm good. No issues.

Linda    
Linda W.
on 4/2/18 4:20 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone use Bone Broth for their protein instead of Whey Protein?

I'm only 8 years out (almost). I still get 90 + grams of protein per day, and I still use whey protein supplements. I make sure the supplements have 5 grams or less of sugar or sugar alcohols. And look for hidden sugars. I have issues with RH as well, had my gall bladder removed almost 20 years ago and I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I just know if I eat too many carbs, I crash. So my diet consists primarily of protein and vegetables. I've never tried bone broth, I imagine its pretty good. I just haven't decided yet if it's worth trying or just another fad that will fade away.

Linda    
Linda W.
on 3/7/18 4:52 pm
Topic: RE: Postprandial or Reactive Hypoglycemia?

There is an excellent article on this website regarding RH. It explains the mechanics of what happens, why it happens, and how to avoid it. It has seriously helped me manage those symptoms!

Linda    
Linda W.
on 12/22/17 4:40 pm
Topic: RE: Please help me!

I'm a month late, but these stories sound like my story. How can we all be so compliant for years, and then stumble when life throws these curve balls at us? We have all worked hard to get rid of the extra pounds and improve our lives, only to lose it all when we hit those rough spots. My first reaction was to start the negativity again - berating myself, insulting myself, etc. I am much harder on myself than pretty much everyone else.

Now I just want to return to following the rules, down to the letter, because I know it works. It's kind of like AA - it works if you work it.

So, beginning immediately, no more sugar, potatoes, pasta, rice, or bread. Protein with every meal. plenty of water. No grazing. It's not going to be easy, but it's worth it. I'm worth it.

Linda    
Linda W.
on 12/22/17 4:32 pm
Topic: RE: Back after 3 years away and needing help

I had my surgery in September 2010, and lost 100 pounds. For several years, I maintained with no problems, stuck to the rules, and was a success story. Then 2 1/2 years ago, my mom fell ill. A year ago in November she passed away, but now my dad is not doing so well. It's been an emotional rollercoaster and over the last year I've fallen back into some of my most destructive habits - like chocolate and ice cream, and not wanting to work out.

I trying very hard to get back on track. I just can't seem to get back to the basic rules, although I know them by heart and lived them for over 5 years. So, I am coming back to get some of the positive momentum going again! Reading everyone's posts and learning from their experiences was always a major help for me. I do not want to hit 200 again, but with a 30 pound gain, I'm closing in on that wall.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been through this or something similar that knocked them off track would be most gratefully appreciated!! Thank you for all the help you've been in the past and for all the help I know you will be going forward.

Linda    
Linda W.
on 11/1/14 2:46 pm
Topic: RE: insurance after wls

In 2012 I went to work for a company that did not provide insurance.  I had RNY in 2010, and when I applied for individual coverage I was denied.  The letter I received stated that my denial was due to a pre-existing condition - Bariatric surgery.  This seemed really strange to me, since I am in better health now than I have been for at least 15 - 20 years.  However, with the affordable care act, you can't be denied health insurance for a pre-existing condition.  Life insurance may well be another thing though.  I will have more insight on this subject in a week or so - I just applied for life insurance and had to fill out a medical questionnaire.  As I said, no diabetes, normal blood pressure and cholesterol, more active lifestyle, better eating habits - but still some sort of stigma attached to weight loss by surgery.  I don't get it. 

Linda    
Most Active
Recent Topics