What if I don't get approved?!

Tali S.
on 10/2/11 5:48 am - Jerusalem, Israel
I'm in the countdown for approval! I have spent the last month getting test after test after test done, all with positive outcomes so far. One left - tomorrow is the stomach ultrasound. Then, in 8 days is the meeting with the review committee and consultation with the surgeon. I live in Israel and things may work a little differently then back home in the states (I am from NY) but mostly the same I think. I have a couple questions that i'm hoping you will all respond to!
1. Are there any very important questions to ask in the initial consultation that I should take note of? Something maybe you wish you had asked?
2. Are there any tips with the review board to get an approval or a quick surgery date? Maybe something specific that strikes a chord?

I am really looking forward to using this website. I have no family living near me so I will be turning to you all for support and advice!

thanks so much!
Tali

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 11:26 pm - RI
Hey Tali,

To be honest...the approval process is the worst (as far as the pre-op stuff). It seems like it takes FOREVER.,,,and it really all depends on your doctor's office and the type of insurance you have.

As far as a quick approval and quick surgery date... I can't promise that it will be "quick" but it does come sooner than you might think.

Try to be as patient as you possibly can! You will get there....and if you get denied for whatever reason, APPEAL APPEAL!!!!

Keep us updated girl!

XO Good luck
Tali S.
on 10/6/11 7:01 am - Jerusalem, Israel
Hi Kaila - thanks for the support !!! I'm counting the house until my appointment with the approval committee and will put up an update once I know!!!  Fingers crossed :)

Sarah_Anne
on 10/3/11 3:12 am
Tali,

I am in Israel as well.  You are automatically approved for surgery as long as your BMI is 40 (or 35 with two co-morbidities) and it HAS to be covered by the kupat holim.  The only thing that might hold you back is a medical reason for not having surgery (like a clotting disorder for example) that they might decide makes it too risky for you to undergo surgery OR an emotional disturbance like uncontrolled eating disorder.  Other than that, don't sweat it.  

What surgery are you thinking of having and where?

Sarah

HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Tali S.
on 10/6/11 7:11 am - Jerusalem, Israel
Hi Sarah,
Thanks so much for your reply! It's so nice to see someone else on here who'se in Israel. Did you have the surgey done here? Which kind? Which doctor? 
I have a consultation (and also the Maccabi committee mtg) on Monday with Dr Goitein at Assuta in Tel aviv. Are you familiar with him? I tried to use a few israeli forums to find a doctor recommendation (i made aliyah here a year ago and don't have friends or family who can help) but struggled because the hebrew. Any advice you have would be a great help!!
Thanks and congrats on your weight loss so far!
-Tali

Sarah_Anne
on 10/7/11 1:19 am, edited 10/7/11 1:22 am
Tali,

I had the Duodenal Swtich done almost one year ago with Dr. Andre Keidar.  I dropped in 65 kilos.

I higly suggest  you see Dr. Keidar, who practices at Belinson Hospital in Petach Tikva.  The reason for this is that he is the only surgeon who does all four major WLS in Israel.  Its kind of like going to a car dealer that sells all kinds of cars and not just to a Ford dealer.  The surgeons who don't do the DS will tell you its not a good option, because they don't do it (its technically the hardest operation of all of them - suturing the duodenum is quite difficult).  

I live in Jerusalem as well.  I would be happy to meet up for coffee and explain a few things about how things work and how to choose the best surgery for you - on Sunday if you wish.  It can be a bit daunting if you don't speak good Hebrew.  PM with your number and I'll call you.

Gmar Chatima Tova,

Sarah 
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 456 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2195 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4100 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6660 views