Liquid Diet and Surgery Date

Bigfordguy03
on 7/26/12 4:00 am - MD
RNY on 08/09/12
Today is Day 1 of my 2 week liquid diet in preperation for my surrgery on Augus 9th. Im feeling pretty good so far. How did yall do with your liquid diet?
Serenisis
on 7/26/12 3:21 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 I start mine on Monday!!! Surgery on Aug. 13th....wish you all the best =)) What's on your liquid diet?
             HW: 401 --- 1st Consult: 373 --- SW: 333, lost 68lbs total pre-op!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Bigfordguy03
on 7/26/12 9:58 pm - MD
RNY on 08/09/12
Im suppose to drink 4 to 6 protein shakes a day. On top of that I have to drink atleast 64oz of water. I can have some beef or chicken broth for supper and sugar free jello and sugar free pop siciles. I can also drink  Crystal Light mixed in with my water. Its going to be a pain in the butt but so far everything is going ok. Good luck with yours!! What are you allowed to have?
Serenisis
on 7/29/12 4:38 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 My NUT is pretty flexible -- she still wants me to get 62-75gms of protein in and try to hit close to 1200 calories.  I've got glucerna, protein shakes, greek yogurt, chicken broth, and gardennay soups on mine.  I can also have half a can of tuna and some veggies if I like...I start tomorrow!!! It actually seems like a lot of variety to me, and I don't think I'll get too bored once the hunger pains go away after the first few days.  How're you holding up with yours so far?
             HW: 401 --- 1st Consult: 373 --- SW: 333, lost 68lbs total pre-op!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

LJ123
on 7/27/12 3:00 pm
Hi! I am 1 month post-op and did a three week pre-op liquid diet. I was only required to do two weeks but I wanted to jump start the weight loss.

If you are like most people, you will go into ketosis after about 3-4 days and won't have many hungers pangs after that (I was not one of those people). I will cross my fingers you are though :)

The liquid diet was challenging, particularly in unexpected ways. I was not terribly open about having surgery (only told a few close people) and it was difficult to be on a liquid diet in the workplace and in social settings. In the office people are always bringing stuff to share and turning them down over and over again is awkward. I also attended a 5 meeting on a weekend day that was also a potluck and of course I couldn't eat anything and had to awkwardly say 'I wasn't hungry'. It was weird. The people you are around a lot are used to you (at least they were in my case) eating fairly constantly and not doing so is actually somewhat conspicuous.

It goes by somewhat slowly, you don't have eating to take up your spare/bored time, which was a major issue for me.

But it does go by and its worth it!

Jenn D.
on 7/29/12 1:00 pm - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
I did a 2 week pre-op liquid diet and 2 week post-op diet. It sounds exactly like what you are doing. The first 3 or 4 days were rough but it got easier. By the time I started my liquid diet I had already lost 20 pounds and my stomach shrank a bit. I was drinking a protein shake (mostly EAS myoplex lite or muscle milk) every 3-4 hours. I thought it would be extremely hard, but knowing that my discipline was important to surgery success, I knew I could do it. It was hard to go out with friends and bring a protein shake with me, but I had to push on. Post-op it was really easy simply because I didn't want to drink or eat anything. The first 4 or 5 days post-op I didn't have any protein shakes... I probably should have, but I was sore and not wanting to drink anything bu****er. My surgery was 6/28 so I'm one month out and doing great after the first 3 painful weeks. Good luck and I have faith you can do this!

Jenn D.
on 7/29/12 1:03 pm - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
I also wanted to mention... make sure you are getting those 64 oz of water. I wasn't as strict with that and got extremely constipated a few days before surgery.

Bigfordguy03
on 7/29/12 10:25 pm - MD
RNY on 08/09/12
So today is Day 5 and everything seems to be going ok. I still get a headache every once in a while but its understandable. I had a very trying weekend. Went to the Orioles game Friday evening, the state fair on saturday for a concert and to my fiances parents on Sunday all with out being able to eat of course lol. I think the fair was the hardest cause of all the good smelling foods around lol. But I made it thru. Im starting to notice that my protein shakes are beginging to taste almost too sweet. I reckon I need to figure something out about that. Thanks for the support!!
Jenn D.
on 8/6/12 7:30 am - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
Try out ISOPURE. It is high in protein, low in calories and it is not milky. I like it.

Adhara
on 7/31/12 4:25 am - FL
You can do it! I made myself Lentil and kale soup with beef and had that for dinner most days for my week of liquids. it breaks the monotony of shake after shake and is quite nutritious.
  Follow me on tumblr:  http://newnegativespace.tumblr.com/  VSG : 7/19/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 450 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2179 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4091 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6650 views