New here! Looking for weight loss surgery tips and advice.

Songbird_1284
on 3/25/13 12:58 am
I'm at my wits end, just weighed today and I hit that dreaded 300 mark. I promised myself I would never get to this point but today is the day. I wanna just ball my eyes out. It's the biggest I've ever been. I know if I got surgery it would help so much. I've lost weight many times over with prescription diet pills, I don't want to go back to that. Losing weight naturally doesn't work for me. I've been fat my whole life. I think I could really benefit from surgery. Is there anyone out there that knows what I'm going through? Would love to convo on here about it. I just need people to talk to and who understand what it is to be obese!
ANGELOJOS27
on 3/26/13 10:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 02/05/13

Your def at the right place. Do you know what surgery you’re interested in? I had the DS. Very invasive but has the greatest long term weight loss stats. If you want more information you can go to dsfacts.com. I am 28 years old. I hit my highest weight in Oct of last year 397 lbs... I to was 300 lbs once and I’m almost back to that weight. Let me tell you that it’s easy to creep up to 400 lbs. start your research. That's my biggest advice! I jumped into the lap band in 09 without doing any research and did very well losing 80 lbs in about 5 months. But one slip up and the whole thing came crumbling down. I had serious acid reflux. It eventually had to be removed in emergency surgery. I also recommend going to the different surgery board and see what people are experiencing, failures, complications, victories... Also go to the failed WLS board and pay attention to what type of surgery the most posters and so on.

This is def a commitment that you need to be ready for. You are young so starting now is good! I wish you the best of luck!

Banded on 7/1/09,cool removed on 11/11... Switched on 2/5/13. Ticker includes 23lbs lost on preop diet...          

Songbird_1284
on 3/26/13 10:39 am
Thank you for responding! Yes I've done research here and there for years. Finally been getting serious because I recently got insurance. I found this site and I'm glad I did because it has real life success stories. I'm looking into the vertical sleeve. Ive been looking into pre op and post op issues and what the procedure is for people. It's very motivating to see people's before and after. It's like, that could be me! I'm going to a seminar about the surgeries a doctor does here. I'm pretty excited to go to that because it means I'm going in the right direction. I'm tired of failing and not losing the weight. This could change my life forever and I'm ready! I could live at least one year of my twenties healthy lol. I'm hoping I can get insurance approval. That is already stressing me out and I haven't even applied yet. Your story is very inspiring and I will definitely look into the DS! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm hoping to be an inspiration as well!
ANGELOJOS27
on 3/27/13 6:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 02/05/13

The VSG is also a wonderful surgery. and a plus if it doesn't get you to goal then you can do the "switch" and your half way there...

Banded on 7/1/09,cool removed on 11/11... Switched on 2/5/13. Ticker includes 23lbs lost on preop diet...          

sunny_disposition
on 4/1/13 3:37 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I had VSG on 1/28/13.  Including my 2 week pre-op diet, I'm down 61 pounds.  The first couple weeks were hard, and I started having regrets, but now, at two months out, I couldn't be happier.  It's just an adjustment.   I've been losing weight steadily, have way more energy, and feel better just knowing that I'm doing something to improve my life!  Best decision I've ever made.  I tried to pick something up recently that weighed 50 pounds, and was shocked that I was no longer carrying that (and then some!) around anymore!

My insurance wouldn't cover it.  Hopefully that won't be your case, but if it is, see if your surgeon can work with you, mine did, thank goodness!

If you ever have any questions, I'd be happy to help however I can!  :)

Songbird_1284
on 4/1/13 4:08 am

Thank you sunny! That's so awesome and inspiring. I want more energy. I'm so tired and I feel miserable today. I'm always on my feet at work. That's why I'm hoping to be approved with my insurance and if not hopefully they can help me. Dieting and excise alone can't fix my problem. Yes I'll have to add you because you've through the whole process. I'm excited for the seminar on the 11th. Then I can get in and get a consultation.

exohexoh
on 4/2/13 6:11 am - West Chester, PA

I had RNY in September 2010. I never got down to my goal weight, but I am happy where I am (other than my excess skin and residual fat but that process starts in June!). For the most part I feel "normal" and definitely think that surgery was the best decision I have ever made. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Songbird_1284
on 4/2/13 7:56 am

You're very close to your goal which is awesome! I need to think about excess skin too if I get approved. I dream of being able to have this surgery. My parents think it would be good tool in my weight loss. I'm hoping I get approved and I can be like all of you!  Just to be 50 lbs lighter would help me feel so much better. Thank you for your advice and story! I love reading them because they are so inspirational! :)

lukkygirl
on 4/5/13 8:26 am
Songbird_1284
on 4/5/13 8:51 am

That's awesome Lukky! I'm excited to go to the seminar next week. I feel like it's taking forever to get here. I'm ready to get my process started lol but I guess I'll have to be patient. Yeah we can definitely relate on the weight issue very well. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 455 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2189 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4095 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6657 views