Got my date today!!!

MicheleMyBell
on 9/21/05 2:42 pm - Signal Hill, CA
I just had to share with all of you that I just received the date for my surgery! It will be Dec.2! I was expecting it to be some time in February so this is quite a shock. I'm new to the messageboards and this website so I will be looking here for answers and support. Especially on the support part. Did any of you experience friends/family questioning your decision to have WLS??? I have had on more than one occasion, the comment, "Are you SURE this is what you want to do?" I'm sorry, this has to be the stupidest question in my opinion! It's not like I just woke up one day and thought, "Hmm...I think I'll go out and have gastric bypass surgery." I just hope someone out there can relate. I'd hate to think my friends and family are the only dopes out there! Searching for support from ones who understand, Michele
vorth
on 9/23/05 12:42 am - Mineral Point, WI
Congrads on getting a date. I sent out an email/letter to my close family and friends about the surgery. I explained the medical conditions I was having and how the surgery was going to help me. I did not have to many questions other than how they do the surgery etc. I was very lucky that my family/friends supported my decision. It is hard for those who have never experienced being overweight to understand what we go thru. What is important is that it is YOUR decision. Even those who don't understand or approve now will have to "eat their words/thoughts" once they see the amazing results. Keep in mind though that the outside is only the outside and your inside appearance does not change. Good luck to you and if you have any quesitons, please don't hesitate to email me privately at [email protected].
amyjo
on 9/23/05 1:41 pm - Kettering, OH
Hi Michelle... Congratulations on your surgery date! It will be here before you know it! I did the same thing that Vicky did. I emailed my family and close friends about my decision to have WLS. I was very blessed that my entire family and closest friends were totally supportive of me and my decision. I did have a couple of "acquaintances" and co-workers who questioned me. All I had to do was tell them that i had been researching the surgery for over a year and that my family doctor actually recommended that I have it, and that seemed to shut em up! I don't know of anyone who has taken this surgery and lifestyle change lightly, and I've found that most people who question it have only heard of the horror stories of the old surgeries from many, many years ago. You just have to be happy and comfortable with your decision. Like Vicky said, it is very difficult for people who haven't struggled with their weight to fathom such a drastic measure. I am 7wks post-op, and I can honestly tell you that I haven't once second-guessed my decision. For me, it was the ONLY decision. I am already 36lbs lighter, and I feel better than I have in many years. My surgeon and family doctor are thrilled with my progress. Hang in there! You're doing the right thing for YOU! Email me anytime! [email protected] Congratulations again! ~Amy
mstrosbe
on 9/25/05 3:39 am - Mesa, AZ
Michele: I am also new to the message boards and wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your struggles to tell others about your personal choice to have WLS. I am scheduled for my sygery 12-12-05 and I am very excited. I have not told many ppl about my surgery because we have had very bad experiences in my family with bariatric surgery...my dad died in 1993 after having this surgery performed by a general doctor and my aunt (who weighed about 600 lbs) had this surgery in Jan 2005 and died after the surgery because of her poorly functioning kidneys, which led to all of her organs shutting down. As you can imagine, my family does NOT support my decision at this juncture....but I have done alot of research and I feel I have the best surgeon in the field (Dr. Blackstone @ the Scottsdale Bariatric Center). I am 32 yrs old and have asthma and sleep apnea, but no other serious helath issues. This is truly a personal decision for me and I have realized through self exploration (and speaking with the psych at the bariatric center and the doctors) that technology has changed since my dad had his surgery (he also had blood clotting issues and died of an anurism) and my aunt was so overweight that when the doctors did her pre-op exams they could not tell that her organs were already so severely damaged. In fact, the doctor did not want to do the surgery on her at all because of her health risks (she was also 59 yrs old), but she insisted. She did not die from the sugery itself (that was successful) she just couldn't get out of bed after surgery and all her organs started shutting down.... So here is my suggestion on telling ppl.... Realize that this is YOUR decision and it is personal and you have to wheigh the benefits and risks for yourself. If you have a great doctor, you'll be fine...sometimes we have to do things for ourselves and not others.... I hope you find the support you are looking for in those you do tell...Personally, I have chosen to tell mostly my work friends and my best friends. I have not said anything to my family because I know they would not support me...
RACHEL LOVES SEAN
on 9/28/05 5:56 pm - Clarkesville, GA
Hey Michele, First off congratulations on getting a surgery date! And yes I can understand people asking stupid questions, and making stupid comments. The first thing my sister said was no you're not, you can't, you'll get skinnier than me. I was like gee thanks, you'e not concerned about my health or anything, you're just scared I'm going to look better than you. So shallow!! Anyway, if you are looking for support you have definately came to the right place. I am here daily, because the people here have all been there, done that and can answer just about any question you put out there. I look forward to seeing you around this board and am here if you need a friend! ~Rachel~
Most Active
Recent Topics