Hi, I'm new around here - 1st appt next week

Mama477
on 7/22/10 5:12 am
Just getting started on this journey and thought I would say "HI"!  I go for my initial appointment next week, have my psych consult scheduled and am starting to get some paperwork together.    Can't believe this is REALLY happening.

If I had a cardiology stress test 2 years ago and it came back perfect do you think I will have to have another??? 

Will the RD give me suggestions for an eating plan to follow now until surgery?

Thanks so much!

southernlady5464
on 7/22/10 5:31 am, edited 7/22/10 5:32 am
Welcome to the LW board...we are a very friendly caring bunch here.

Yeah, hard to believe it's real when the ball really starts rolling.

As to the cardio tests....let your surgeon decide if you need a new one. But if you do, it's no big deal, it's just a clearance hurdle to get passed. I'm having to have one since my last one was over 5 years ago and I am 56.

As to the pre-op diet, each surgeon is different. My dh (who is also having surgery) and I both got a pre-op diet from his surgeon. He was mine til I jumped ship for a trip to NYC and a DS. While we haven't followed it closely as of yet, we have made changes in our normal eating so far. Mostly trying different protein drinks to find which one we like. Getting in the routine of taking vitamins daily, etc.

MY problem is I am so close to the border of being obese, I have almost no wiggle room to lose any weight. And until I actually have my surgery, I don't dare slip below 35% BMI which for my height is 197 lbs. I'm trying to stay right at 200.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/southernlady5464/animations/Liz_jcw_bag_ladies_Braldt_Dec2007_W.gif?t=1279827068

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Jody ***
on 7/22/10 6:15 am, edited 7/22/10 6:16 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I had had a stress test 16 months before my surgery, and my surgeon took it - but its totally up to him/her. 

Your NUT will probably tell you what you need to do prior to surgery to get ready.   

Welcome to the LW board and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

browneyedDeeva
on 7/22/10 7:36 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
Jodyyy,
about 6 months ago, i was having hearburn i never have that and i know it can be a sign for a heart attack and my daddy died 2 yrs ago when he was 70 so it runs in my family, anyway i asked my primary dr for a stress test so here i am doing what ur suppose to be doing walking on the treadmill
and it was going faster and faster it felt like a long time. tech says r u an athelete? i said no why? she said u have a heart like one. do u go to the gym ? i said yes i do ...this was all the while running on the dang thing. when all of a sudden i told the tech thats it cant do it anymore so she says ok no problem u already passed a while ago i just wanted to see how much longer you can run lolololol was she kidding meeeeeeeee ? lololol

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

NursieGirl
on 7/22/10 6:20 am
Hi there!  Welcome to the best group on OH! 

fitby40something
on 7/22/10 6:25 am - Southeast, MO
Welcome to the LW board and congratulations on your decision to seek WLS.

All of the pre-op testing kind of depends on your surgeon and your health history.  My sister and I have both had WLS by different surgeons and our pre-op testing and diets were both very different.  I'm sure they'll tell you everything you want to know and then some.  Are you leaning towards a  specific surgery?  If you can get your hands on a copy of "Weight Loss Surgery for
Dummies"  its a great book.  Lots of really good information regarding the different types of surgery and the process.

Congratulations again and best of luck to you.

Julie   Extended Abdominalplasty & Breast Lift 6/22/11

fitby40something  HW 240/CONSULT 238/SW 225/CW 170/GW 138
"Get busy living or get busy dying."  --Shawshank Redemption

MajorMom
on 7/22/10 8:31 am - VA
Welcome aboard!   I had to remember what RD stands for...we call them NUTs. lol  Good to have you here.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Happy_Camper
on 7/22/10 8:50 am
Welcome to the LW board.   Great bunch of people here.  Wishing you a successful journey. Cindy

Surgery March 2, 2010 -  5' 9"  -   HW 278 /  SW 260 /  CW 139 / GW 150

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat                         

lerkhart
on 7/22/10 10:38 pm
Welcome to the LW boards and congrats on starting your process. 

What type of surgery are you having?  You will learn from reading here that every surgeon/NUT has different things they want you to do.

I did not have to have a stress test because I was going to the gym and doing the eliptical and my surgeon said if I could do that he doubted I had any heart problems.  They did do an EKG as pre-op.

I had to do 2 weeks of protein shakes with 1 sensible meal a day.  Prior to that, they wanted me to jus****ch my carbs and try to eat sensible.  They are all different and some only require 1 day of clear liquids.  I would just follow your NUT's guidelines on this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LInda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Mama477
on 7/22/10 11:40 pm
Thank you all for the info and the welcome!  NUT is so much better than RD! 

I am thinking VSG would be the route for me.  I am going to the bookstore tonight -- I like the Dummy series, too so that will be perfect. 

I'm normally on during the day so you will see me around!!! 

Happy Friday!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views