My surgeon asked me to model

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/10 9:44 pm
 UH OH I'm in trouble now.....  my surgeons sweet assistant called me yesterday and asked me to  walk the runway at their annual  hospital party as an example of my surgeons good work.  

Id really like to help him ( and maybe meet a cute doc.. you never know .....   )  but im skeered for several reasons ....

One ... several of he  hospital staff already gave me a hard time  before and after my surgery  because I was such an extreme lightweight .

I dont want  his  being kind enough to operate on me to possibly bite him in the  Azz.. and it COULD .   
Technically the BMI guidelines just really dont apply to giraffe - bodied model types without a HUGE explanation ...frankly MY body was  absolutely breaking down at  a 32  BMI  before i started this journey.

"  Luckily"  i had serious co morbidities and it was possible to bump it up to a 35  just by stopping dieting and  letting my body settle where it wanted to all along . 

I still think my surgeon was very KIND not to give me a hard time ...everyone .. I mean EVERYONE thought I was an " after " going INTO  surgery .... and I believe  the  pink liquid /look inside x ray ladies even made a few calls trying to STOP my surgery ...or right afterwards ....

So what do U guys think ... do I  draw attention  with my 5'9"  miniskirted  size  2 /0 130 lb  self .......or do I respectfully decline  attending the party ( or maybe  go , but just wear something baggy ?)   

As an actor who I think ( for once ) actually might have a chance at leading roles .... preserving my anonymity regarding gastric bypass  might be in good order too ..... they DO want  before pics to be able to put em up behind me ....  and who knows whether  theyll give em back ...

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/10 9:58 pm
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I guess I believe your doctor is a grown man with an eye towards his very own reputation, and if having done surgery on you was iffy for his reputation you would not have gotten a phone call.  Do not worry about him, he is worried enough about himself - count on it.

For you, personally, if you would rather not have everyone know you have had a bypass, then I would not do it.

What about YOU?  How do you feel about YOUR situation?  None of any of those other folks, either the hasslers, the folks who will gain from your being there, or anyone else should be in your thought process, because ultimately they really do not count.

Your size or body shape does not matter.  Your staring BMI does not matter.  The only thing that matters is - given your employment of preference and possible (not definite but possible) issues with it, do you want to be involved?
Shannon D.
on 7/26/10 10:10 pm
Tough situation. Who will be attending the party? If it is only patients at the bariatric clinic, I would go for it, but if it is open to the public or all hospital staff, families and friends, etc, maybe don't do it.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

graciesmommie
on 7/26/10 10:24 pm
Tough choice but I say go for it! I am a firm believer that we are givin opportunities in life for a reason. You never know who might be sitting in the audiance that needs the courage to make the choice that could change their life forever. If you meet an awesomely cute doctor in the process that is just icing on the cake. It says alot for your doctor to want to use you. You must be doing something right. Best of luck in making this decision. Don't think negatively about "what if"  think positively. What if there is a hot doctor there...the next love of your life. What if your example gives someone the confidence to make this choice and gives someone else their wife or mother back that obesity has taken away.
Our lives are changed by the difference we make in the lives of others. Hold fast to the things are good but don't be scared to take risks. We only live once.
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
Jody ***
on 7/26/10 11:03 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
You've been given some very good advice already, and I really don't have anything to add - except - let us know what you decide to do!  I DO believe opportunities exist for reasons, BUT then again, you have to do what's right for you.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Lee ~
on 7/27/10 12:14 am - CA
Hey Ava, 

How many times have you written in the last month that you want to model in your new body?  It seems that your requests have been answered and now you're being asked to model.  This is a very personal decision and I don't think that anyone here can really help you make the decision.  Only you know what's right for making you feel strong, vibrant and healthy.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Linda D.
on 7/27/10 3:37 am - Armada, MI
I would error on the side of caution and I would not partake of this modeling request.  I think you have a very valid concern about your participation in this event, and thus your WLS history, at some point being made public, should you have a larger public persona with your acting/modeling jobs.  If you don't want your future directors/producers/casting people to know about your WLS, then this is not a good idea, because you will forever wonder if this will come back to bite you in the butt.  So, if your intent is to never reveal your WLS history, then this isn't a good idea for you, in my opinion. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/10 5:41 pm
 Thanks U so much for Ur feedback .   My inclination now is to go ahead and do it .  I know i am breaking my own anonymity ..but  unless miraculously i become a celebrity , frankly , nooone will care if i had wls .   And if that DOES  by some miracle happen ...well thats  what PR people are for . 
Im sure I am not the first nor the last ..... and  theyve covered up much worse problems ( like half the celebrities in Hollywood being  ten - twenty years older than their high school yearbooks say they are ...now i would love to know how they manage THAT lol)  

In the meantime I think running a support group might be very helpful both for me and for my surgeons prospective patients .   The idea was floated a while ago .and while I didnt take them up on it then  i have  thought about it and think it might be helpful both to me and others .

I think listening to other people justify  eating up a whole buncha food or grazing  might finally  make me tumble to the fact of my own unruliness and lack of teachability n that area .

I know  i need to make a breakthrough in my own recovery ...that eating  is not an emotional bandage , its not  what U turn to when Ure tired and far away from home ....  that eating between meals is NOT a legitimate source of entertainment ....   and  learning from others example and ridiculous rationalizations is probably the best way for me to see and work on myself ( always was in OA ) .  

In a certain very real sense I don't have OA  as a support group any more .  I am suffering from skinny- prejudice lol.   Noone will let me share !!

So though I AM  willing to work on my eating issues ( and talk about them )  I CANT  ( except here and I appreciate that profoundly ) .  

I WOULD like to take my weight loss  to the next level and REALLY  stomp down the runways again occasionally ... or if im simply too old for that at least  do commercials, acting  and so forth .... but i need a way to get from here to there ....and its not only PS  thats required  but MENTAL surgery and developing  a better level of  self discipline as well.  

Funny but that last darn twenty pounds is proving to be almost as much of a barrier as the last 100 was ....work wise .  Yesterday my HAIRDRESSER  condescendingly complimented me on being skinny  ( which means in real speak  i was looking FAT  , darn it  ) .....  and even the landlord says i look bigger ... YIKES .  

Maybe im being a bit naive , but i see celebrities  and just plain well known character actors in OA  meetings all the time .... I actually had a very famous soap opera star as my sponsor in OA  for a while .  Noone ever broke her anonymity to my knowledge ...even when she truly was National Enquirer  fodder ... of course that WAS a few years ago before the age of twitter and camera phones....but still .....

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views