Have anyone heard of the OBERA BALLOON procedure?

fordrachel
on 7/28/10 1:26 am - memphis, TN
 http://midsouthbariatrics.com/

here is the website for my Doctor who conducted the study for this weight loss BALLOON, called the OBERA Procedure. After months and months of emailing and calling this doctors office asking if he will open up any more slots for this Balloon procedure, he emailed me back a couple months agoo, as he was thinking about taking a couple more people for this STUDY.  I will do this, if my LAPBAND is not approved, but I'm praying that the LAPBAND is apporved... Just thought i would post, as a lot of people have never heard of this procedure... where there is no cutting (actual surgery).
fordrachel
on 7/28/10 1:27 am - memphis, TN
http://midsouthbariatrics.com/balloon-assisted-weight-loss 
MajorMom
on 7/28/10 1:56 am - VA
I've heard of it but haven't heard the success rates or long term outlook yet. I guess if you get it, you can tell us. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fordrachel
on 7/28/10 2:06 am - memphis, TN
 Gina, you know I will... but this will only be an option IF I'M 'NOT' APPROVED FOR WLS, WHETHER IT'S THE LAP-BAND OR THE VSG.    So, my fingers are still crossed, waiting for insurance response.   
MajorMom
on 7/28/10 2:13 am - VA
If I had my pick, I think I'd go with the VSG if approved, but that's just me. You do what's best for you and we'll be here to support.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

fordrachel
on 7/28/10 2:22 am - memphis, TN
 Thanks GINA!!!!  If I am approved, I would love for you to be my WLS ANGEL...    

And, yes, everyday... I'm leaning MORE toward the VSG, but all the paperwork clearly shows that my PCP recommended me for Lap-band, and the charts have Lap-band, and the insurance paperwork, i'm not sure if they sent in the request for LAP-Band, or just Weight loss Surgery in general? I wonder will it be hard to get the request changed?  Then If i'm approved for lap-band, then change to VSG, will it be hard to get them to re-do approval papers?  As you see, i'm still full of questions!!!  
MajorMom
on 7/28/10 2:30 am - VA
Of course I'll be your angel. Thank you!

You'll have to check and see if the VSG is a covered surgery by your insurance plan. Once approved for lap band it shouldn't be too much problem to switch to another approved surgery covered by your plan. Your surgeon's insurance coordinator may know what your plan covers. It might be worth a phone call to her or the insurance company.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

fordrachel
on 7/28/10 2:43 am - memphis, TN
 THANKS SOOOOO MUCH, GINA!!!!!   
And, YES, CIGNA does cover VSG, I was sent a list of revisions, and exclusions back in May, and THEY DEFINITELY COVER 'VERTICAL SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY' (VSG).   I will call the surgeons office shortly to confirm my options.
MacMadame
on 7/29/10 2:44 pm - Northern, CA
Gina- it only stays in your stomach for 6 months. So it's not a long-term solution.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/10 3:08 am
 Someone put a balloon in my pouch please ..... as a matter of fact a simpler surgery would be just to put the balloon in my MOUTH LOL .... 

makes me think i should buy a ball gag to wear around the house.....sad thing is im only half joking .....
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 414 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views