Bariatric Labs were great....BUT

Melissa1965
on 8/7/10 1:31 am
My bariatric labs have been due for the last month and I kept putting it off. I knew I needed to have my thyroid test so I was kinda waiting. The last doctor appointment my thyroid was low, the lab numbers were not to my liking. I wanted the PCP to raise my meds but she said that would be going into "cancer" amounts. So she suggested I get ogg my antacid because it may be binding the thyroid meds (common for antacids)so I did. I take my meds on an empty stomach and far away from vitamins, calcium etc. I do drink coffee in the am though but always have. So this time my Bariatric labs were great and my thyroid was not. And what prompted me to go get labs was last weekend I started feeling wonky. So of course I freak out thinking I am having some kind of vitamin deficiency. Feeling tired and drained from lack of sleep and rest is SO different that low thyroid, 100% different. It feels horrible and in this state scary to "operate heavy machinery" lol. So I had my labs...2 months ago thyroid was 4.95...normal range is .03-3.1 (I feel great at a 1 or 2) this time is was 7.08....after it goes above a 4 I really "feel it". So the doctor called and is referring me to an Endo. I think I am not absorbing my meds. I don't know what I'm going to do. I wish they made a siblingual thyroid med. All I know is I would not wish this feeling on my worst enemy.
HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
MajorMom
on 8/7/10 2:00 am - VA
I hope they can get you sorted out soonest. Please keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Melissa1965
on 8/8/10 12:29 am
Thank You Gina, I certainly will.
italianspice
on 8/7/10 3:55 am - Eastlake, OH
My daughter in law who is healthy except for thyroid has been all over the charts with her dosages.
She was on 200mcgs of synthroid a day, if that didnt work she was going to switch to the armour brand. Well finally her numbers are good. She has backed down to 175 mcg daily. Maybe you need to see an endocrinologist to straighten out  your thyroid, you are absorbing your vitamins, so why not your synthroid?
Just a thought.
I hope you will be feeling better soon!
Maria
Melissa1965
on 8/7/10 7:02 am
Thanks Maria

That's who I'm getting my referrel for , an Endo.  That's what I want to know...my vitamins are fine so why not the thyroid.

I am on 250 mcg of meds. In the past I was on a ****tail of cytomel and armour then got changed to straight armour. The last thing I was on was Armour and synthetic but with Armour not beinig made I switched to Levoxythroxine and did actually great until the bypass. I lost half of my thyroid to a tumor in 97 and also have Hashimotos.
rbb825
on 8/7/10 2:32 pm - Suffern, NY
You are less than 1 year out and it is very common for us to need adjustments to our thyroid medications during the first year, almost everyone does.  I had to increase my synthroid once and had to add cytomel, a second thyroid medication.  With your levels, you should have had your Synthroid increased quite awhile ago, she shouldn't have waited so long.  My Endo tries to keep me around 1.0 and if I get over 2, she increases my dose but definitely over 3.  There is no way anyone on treatment should end up at 7.08 - she new 2 months there was a problem and did nothing about it.  I am really glad you are going to an Endocrinologist.  An Endo will really help you out a lot. My Endo is the best, she also does all my WLS labs.  You should also get a Total T3 and Free T3, which I am sure the Endo will do, this will show how well the Synthroid is working and if the T4 is converting to T3. IF it isnt' doing this, then you would need to go on Cytomel s well.  You might want to ask the Endo for an Ultrasound of the thyroid to make sure you dont' have any nodules - this is very common and sometimes they produce excess hormones.

Good luck and I hope this all gets straightened out

italianspice
on 8/8/10 2:10 am - Eastlake, OH
Sorry, I guess with all this stomach stuff, I was thinking endoscopy!
Glad you are getting checked out!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 414 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views