I think it's time... (edited after seeing Dr)

rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 10:19 am
thank you tracey, i need to look into some of those coping mechanisms.
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat    
loverofcats
on 4/13/11 5:11 am

Hi Rebecca,

Good for you for deciding to try an antidepressant. The 75 mg twice/day is a starting dose, so you may have a few adjustments, before you feel the full effects of the medication. Unfortunately, the antidepressants can take time to build up in your blood stream, before you feel the benefits from the medication. The top dose of bupropion or wellbutrin is about 300-450 mg/day, so you can see that you are on a beginning dose of medication.

The good news about wellbutrin is that it is one of the more weight neutral antidepressants, although, some people cannot take it, because of increased agitation and/or irritability. This is why, it is started at a low dose.

All the research indicates that depression and bulimia are best helped with both therapy and medication. Good luck to you!!!

Take Care,

Gail

"          

rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 10:23 am
thank you gail, my pcp said to come back in about 4 weeks to decide if we need to adjust the dose or not. thanks so much!
Lee ~
on 4/14/11 3:15 pm - CA
Rebecca,

i don't have any experience first hand with anti-depressants, so i just wanted to come give you lots of hugs and tell you that I think you're an incredibly brave young woman.  You've been through so much this year and I hope that this will make you feel ready to rock your world as the incredibly beautiful young woman that you are!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 4:52 am
First there is one rare but serious side effect to wellbutrin, if you have a seizure disorder you can not take it. If you drink alcohol while you take wellbutrin you will lower your seizure threshold and are at risk for seizure. As I said this is rare but very serious if it happens.  What this means is that it is best that you avoid alcohol when taking this medication or limit your intake to one drink on special occasions. (Alcohol contributes to depression so you should avoid it anyway)

I have been taking wellbutrin for many years and have never had any problems with weight gain or sexual dysfunction, but we are all individuals and respond differently. I even stopped taking it once just to see if I needed to continue to take it. My husband felt I was more even tempered when I was on it so I returned to it.
The regular wellbutrin that does not have any delayed release is hard on you stomach an it will cause you to sweat and shake when it first enters your system. I have taken the SR since surgery and it seems to absorb sufficiently. The ER which is a once a day pill is not effective on WLS patients. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views