Nervous about decision!

southernlady5464
on 5/23/11 10:35 am
On May 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM Pacific Time, Kiminey65 wrote:
I went to the 1st seminar last July with the thought that I would only consider the lap band. Well, once there I was so ill-prepared for the information the surgeon gave us. He only offered RNY or lap band, and at that time, I didn't know much avout VSG. He wasn't keen on the success of the band and explained his reasons. He also made sure we understood that he would perform that procedure if we elected it though.

Once I got home from that meeting, I did a lot of homework, and as I understood VSG better, I may have considered it. Mind you, it wasn't even offered to me. I will also say, and this is so stupid, but it bothered me to think I'd have part of my stomach permanently removed if I had the vsg. I understand there isn't good logic in that statement, but last year it is one of the things I thought about.

I think after you discuss pros and cons with your chosen surgeon, you'll be ready to choose. Oh, and I am loving my rny!!!!! I am doing great.

Kim

Kim, I can understand your concern about the VSG/DS that we lose 80% of our stomach forever but then again my initial concern about the RNY pouch and the blind stomach...at first I let my initial surgeon talk me into it...thank goodness they were slow getting me into surgery even tho I had approval.

It's all about what you want for yourself. And we should chose based on that.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Carrie S.
on 5/23/11 10:16 am - Asheville, NC
Thank you guys soooo much! This has helped a lot. Just talking with people who have been through it. I don't know what I'm so worried about!

I definitely am a good RNY candidate. I have serious sugar issues. I just hope the surgeon doesn't try to talk me out of it in favor of the lap band.

Thank you all so much for your input.
Kermit P.
on 5/23/11 11:41 am
Carrie,

These are all great comments and it is good to hear from different people's perspective as far as their surgeries....Liz is right....one can travel if DS is something they wish to pursue (if you can get your insurance to cover, etc)......some concerns about RNY is no NSAIDS (usually) as well as chance at reactive hypogylcemia later out.  Each surgery has pros and cons though.  Personally I am so relieved to have my surgery completed and have had no real complications thus far and feel back to my old self.  It is a big change but I am very grateful so far.

The surgeons office is right behind MMH weight management....go up the hill and you will see it...several offices down on the right. Everyone in the support group really speak highly of Dr Edwards.  I do not love my surgeon but was told he was the best.  Surgeons just arent my favorite people but I have a bias as I work in the health field.  My preop process was lengthy so I understand.

Good luck tomorrow...I am sure it will go fine. You may want to bring a book though....every time I go there I sit in the examing room FOREVER!

~~Jennifer

p.s. Price on this board is also a local.
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
southernlady5464
on 5/23/11 4:29 pm
I'm only over the mountain, lol...and have family in Asheville & Spartanburg...so we're close to being local.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

kelly_hope
on 5/23/11 1:17 pm - Marysville, WA
I honestly think the lapband is on it's way 'out' as far as a good weight loss surgery option. There are soo many folks who end up having to revise to another wls type.

I chose RNY because I want the restrictions. I want and need to have consequences to what I eat. Also, my dad and brother both had the RNY and have had fantastic results. We are all the same body type (my doc calls us hoarders cuz our bodies hoard everything we eat, healthy or not), and this surgery seems to be the best for us.

You've gotten some great advice on here. Keep coming back. I couldn't have made it all these months without this board!!

Let us know what happens!
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Mara C.
on 5/24/11 1:53 am - Millbury, MA
Take your time Carrie, do your reasearch, meet with the surgeon, ask loads of questions and best of luck whatever you decide.  I researched and waited a year before my RNY and I lost over 100 lbs, now maintaining and love my decison, not only for my health but for my daughter & husband... I am a much healthier person!

Good luck!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
STLfan
on 5/24/11 2:21 am
Carrie, my two cents is that research will help take you to your decision for me I was all lap band till I talked to various groups of WLS people. I talked with every group and found lap band people to be mostly miserable about their adventure. RNY people had some doing very well yet were bothered by some issues like dumping. The sleeve I feel is a good option if you just need restriction to help you. DS is the whole enchilada and is very complicated and effective.but DS has issues as well that being strict vitamin regiment ....protein ......doctor visits..... Also a sleeve can be converted over to a DS rather easily ....well it is more surgery ......... I might have went with just sleeve but like you insurance would only cover the big three DS, RNY, LB. Take care....... Jeff
Jeff                    
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 422 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 502 views