One month to go! Any advice???

Lynn5707
on 6/5/11 10:48 pm - IN
 Hi,

I just realized that one month from today is my surgery date!  Wow, I cannot believe it.

Tomorrow my husband and I go to my pre-op class, but I was wondering if you all have any advice for this last month?  All along this process I have been told not to lose any weight (although I am down a few pounds from my starting weight) because of insurance, so I have not done the liver reduction diet, like other patients that were in my supervised weight loss classes.  

I know I will learn more tomorrow, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Lynn
seaview
on 6/6/11 12:29 am
I would suggest trying to drink 64 ounces of water a day..that's what you need to drink daily after surgery...you won't be able to drink it at first of course...but if you start doing it now..drinking water will be a habit for you and that's good...otherwise everything will work itself out after surgery...SEAVIEW
magofa
on 6/6/11 12:55 am - Wilkes-Barre, PA
Did your surgeon ok your not losing pre op weight? I just ask because not losing enough pre op was my biggest regret.

Advice-try some protein drinks; stock your pantry and fridge with good stuff and stuff you'll need for the first month; get your head in the game! I worked with journaling and a podcast that helped me work through emotional eating!

Bonnie
HW 248.9;SW 221; CW 138.7

baat2010
on 6/6/11 1:08 am - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
I would cut back or quit carnoated drink so you adjust before the surgery. I have occasional cravings but don't miss it half as much as I expected. Also, you might want to do some reading. I highly recommend 50 ways to soothe yourself without food by Susan Albers.

You will be on the losers' bench before you know it!
Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
AshleyInTexas
on 6/6/11 1:30 am - TX
I didn't have to do a pre-op diet but I wish I would have done the following.

I would clean out the pantry and fridge.  Get all the junk and bad stuff out.  Start exercising now.  Don't wait till you have lost all the weight to start.  Move, even if it's walking. Exercising during the weight loss process will help tone up the excess skin.  Find the protein that works for you and a protein you can and will drink daily.  I tried 100,000 different ones (not really) before I found what I could swallow daily.  I hate the ones that taste "protein-y)  Stay away from sugar and carbs. 

And if you of child baring age for gosh sake get a IUD! I got pregnant 5 months post-op and again 5 months after having that baby.  WLS makes you fertile mertile! Wait the 18-24 months that they recommend.

Best of luck!!!

Ash ;o)

RNY 8-6-2007 stats 5'3"  HW-240  SW-232  LW-127 GW-120  CW-135   
Plastics round #1 on 3-23-2011 BL/BA 575cc & 550cc Silicone under the muscle     
Married 9 yrs with 3 kids- Savannah 8, Skyler 2 & Bryder 1

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

lerkhart
on 6/6/11 2:32 am
Lynn, it will be here before you know it.  Be sure to follow all the instructions from your surgeon's office.  Your taste may change after surgery so what you like pre surgery you might not like post surgery so don't spend a lot of money on one type of protein drink.  You could order the samples to have different types available to you.

I would also suggest that you start walking or doing some type of exercise to help your heart and get your body ready for surgery.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 6/6/11 4:25 am - Mills River, NC
Stop sodas and caffine.  Do it slowly but do it.  I would also decarb if you can without losing. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lynn5707
on 6/6/11 6:32 am - IN
 Hi!
Thanks to everyone for all the instructions.  Yes, the surgeon's office said not to lose weight because my insurance approval was very iffy due to BMI barely 40, and no co-mobids.  I have lost about 8 pounds since my original consult with doctor.

I have started walking, need to be more consistent with it.  I also have been working on reducing carbs, haven't totally cut them out yet.

How have you all cut out caffeine & Diet Coke?  I am slowly switching to Snapple and water, but not there yet.  

Also, I keep researching, reading, everything I can find.

Thanks again!  

Lynn
kelly_hope
on 6/6/11 7:04 am - Marysville, WA
I agree with everyone's posts. I would definitely encourage you to cut back on some carbs for the liver shrinking issue. I was on Atkins for 2 weeks pre-op and wasn't taking it very seriously. Then I read a post on the RNY board of a lady whose doc opened her up and promptly closed her back up cuz her liver was too enlarged. Now this was probably a one in a million case, but it freaked me out! I couldn't imagine that even happening. So I took it a bit more seriously.

Other thoughts.... get in some exercise.. just walking or something. Try and get as strong feeling as you can. Also I'd start getting in extra protein, it helps with healing.

Also... a small pillow, or several. I couldn't have made it thru the past two weeks without my little pillow to hold on my tummy. Such a blessing!

I'm excited for you!
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Lynn5707
on 6/6/11 9:49 am - IN
Thanks again for all the support and ideas.

I am really getting excited & nervous. I cannot wait to find out what my particular surgeon's plans are.

Will post more tomorrow!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views