Surgery less than 3 weeks- can't stop eating!

Lynn5707
on 6/16/11 10:12 am - IN
Hi,

I had my pre-op class last week,have been super excited. The end of last week I had an allergic reaction to something I ate - my rash is gone, but my hands and feet are still a little swollen (they had been huge along with my face) and are still painful.

Anyway, idk why, but I know I had gained about 5-6 # immediately from the swelling. Since I have felt like crap, also have quit caffeine this week, I have eaten everything in site. Now I'm worried I will gain weight before surgery and dr will cancel it, then I'm worried that I'm worried I will fail after surgery.

I'm so upset. I had been told all along not to lose anything cause my bmi was borderline. My pre-op diet is just to be clears two days before surgery. Most other patients were on liver reduction diet, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and do that anyways.

Sorry this is so long. Why can't I get back on track!

Thanks,

Lynn
Laurie M.
on 6/16/11 10:23 am - KS

I am right there with you! Now that I know I will be sleeved sometime this summer all food inhibition has gone out the window! I am a low bmi-er 31-32 depending on the day I weigh. Going thru the steps to have surgery...self pay so I will not have to wait for all the insurance hoopla. And I have been eating like crazy!!!! I have got to get it back under control cuz I amjust making it harder on myself later.

Mama477
on 6/16/11 10:44 am
I didn't have the pre-op long term diet either. I did try to cut portions so post-op would not be so bad. It didn't really matter -- post-op all of the hunger was gone! Maybe it was the excitement of the new life???? Just follow your dr program and you will be just fine!! Try not to stress too much!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Price S.
on 6/16/11 10:58 am - Mills River, NC
Surgery does help get you "on track" but at least for me, the month of pre-surgery diet was very helpful. I was so motivated to get it all right, I didn't stray at all.  Then, after surgery, you aren't hungry and really don't want to eat anyway.

I would suggest a few things even if you don't "diet".  Stop sodas if you are still drinking them.  Go off caffine, slowly.  Up your fluids to at least 64oz a day.  Start having a protein shake daily to up your protein and get your nutritian up so you will heal better.  Stop all bad carbs.

Those things will make life a lot easier once you have surgery.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 6/16/11 11:21 am - Butler, PA
WOW...sorry about your food reaction.

Price gave you some great suggestions!!   I think the most important thing before surgery for me was giving up my Diet Pepsi.  I figured that if I couldn't do that then I probably wouldn't succeed after surgery.    It was a relief not to have that carbonation cravings after surgery.

As far as food goes if you were told not to lose anything then quit worrying.  Your tool will help you fight the battle after your surgery.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Lynn5707
on 6/16/11 11:27 am - IN
Thanks for all the responses. I had my last Diet Coke a couple of days ago. I have switched to dunkin donuts decaf coffee (very good btw).

Thanks again for all the great support! I feel better when I am not eating junk, so that alone I need to get back with the program.

Lynn
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views