Questions on hair, skin and travel.

Lynn5707
on 6/21/11 11:08 pm - IN
Hi,

I was just wondering when people start noticing hair loss/thinning and how long that seems to last. Also, how many pounds lost did people start to notice issues with loose skin.

When I am about 4 weeks post-op, my husband and I are going on vacation to Washington DC. We have never been, and my understanding there will be a lot of walking. My surgeon said OK but to get out and walk during 10 hr car drive there, and that I will probably be tired. Anyone have any ideas on best way to enjoy trip. I'm so excited to go as we have never been. Also, I will return to work the day before we leave and work the day after we get back, both 12 hr shifts. The doctor's secretary had said she could make my leave go after our vacation, but I just did not feel right about that.

Thanks!
Lynn
fatoldbat
on 6/22/11 12:08 am
i was 4 months post op when the hair loss started and it lasted for 3 months.  as far as the loose skin....that depends on the individual and how much weight you lose....i've lost 108 pounds and for a while i developed the "turkey thing" on my neck....you know...that hangy down thing.....anyway...it really bugged me but now its gone....my arms are continuing to get better....i have batwings but the skin doesn't hang down over my elbow joint.....i just have a few wrinkles above the elbow....it's not nearly bad enough to warrant the scar i'd have from having that little bit of skin removed......the tummy, butt and thighs are another story....i've got lots of loose skin.....going for a consultation for a possible tummy tuck on monday just because my tummy skin bugs me.  the thighs....maybe in time....not sure.....

i yoyo dieted for 30+ years so my skin has lost a lot of the elasticity.....my sister even tells me i'm a human accordian because i've lost and gained so many times.

as far as travel...i can only speak from the RNY perspective but when i travel i make sure i take my protein (usually premeasured in ziplock bag) and a cooler for my skim milk.  i take my vitamins and i already have them in a bag that has all the vitamins i'll need for the entire day.  i'll take some nuts and string cheese in case i need a snack and i try to eat as well as possible at restaurants....mostly depending on how the pouchie feels that day.....and....of course.....stay hydrated!!!  and....rest at every opportunity since you'll be only a few weeks post op!  listen to your body!!!

best wishes for your surgery and upcoming vacation!!  have fun but take care of you!!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
seaview
on 6/22/11 12:15 am
 Hey it will be hot as heck there...so if you do nothing else...hydrate....also if you are tired ask for a wheelchair at all the museums ...or the zoo or whatever...your husband can push you around...
it's fun and it's available...in all the museum like places... it will help tremendously with your fatigue..
don't be proud...do it...at 4 weeks out I was still really fatigued...have a great trip...SEAVIEW
Mama477
on 6/22/11 12:37 am
If you have any way to get your return to work written to include your vacation week --- do it! I had the same situation where I had a week planned at the beach a week after returning to work. Did not work out so well for me.

You will love DC!!! Lots of walking. Have fun!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Stacey N.
on 6/22/11 12:43 am - Chesapeake, VA
DC is a blast, many places to rest and sit down. Please do stop every so often and walk around for 10 min. I know the trip to IN very well and know it can be a hard one. At 4 wks you should not have too much hair loss, mine did not start till I was 3 mo out. Good Luck and have fun!
Price S.
on 6/22/11 4:09 am - Mills River, NC
My hair didn't start falling out until late, about 6 or so months.  It is coming back now but both were later than I expected.

I went on a trip at 6 weeks.  I did some walking and was fine, but really tired at night afterwards.  I was in bed at 8:30 everynight.  I was still on pureed food which isn't the easiest phase for travel.  I took a cooler, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, soup, etc.   It wasn't easy to eat every 2-3 hrs with those restrictions but I managed.  Just took planning.  When we ate out, I would usually get a cup of soup.  Just took planning and doing the best I could.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MacMadame
on 6/22/11 7:29 am - Northern, CA
Mine started coming out at 1.5 weeks! In retrospect, I realized that I was suffering from a protein deficiency almost from the get-go. (I was getting in the required protein so this didn't occur to me until later when I got labs.)

If you have no nutritional deficiencies, then you can expect your hair to start falling out at about 3 months out as that is when the hair that died as a result of surgery will be pushed out by new growth. If the actual surgery didn't kill off the hair, but it's the rapid weight loss, then it might take a little longer.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 6:28 pm, edited 6/22/11 6:28 pm
 You will  probably  be really TIRED if Ure anything like me so schedule a  LOT  of   time and down time for YOU  ...  if you CANT walk and see the sights .  

Personally  I was doubled over in pain  if I tried to do more than  walk  say  1/4 mile  , maybe not even that ,and I got real tired real fast ... 4 weeks post Ur inside stitches are still healing .

I can't imagine taking a family trip that fast after major surgery ... but good luck  !  be careful..   
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views