I have a confession

Lynn5707
on 6/22/11 2:30 am - IN
I called my bariatric center and talked to the medical weight loss side about options there. In a nutshell, they offer low cal low carb 800 calories day four shakes and bars, then one lean meat meal with vegetables. She said they keep body in ketosis to lose weight. She said I would be good candidate as my labs are all good. Weight loss is about two to three pounds a week. Maintenance follow up is for a year. She said one of the main things vs surgery is I would have to work harder to keep weight off. Exercise at least 3-4 times per week for an hour. She said I have to be motivated and give up carbs entirely.

What do you all think? I told them not to cancel surgery date, this is about the only thing I have not done.

Thanks!
Lynn
MajorMom
on 6/22/11 2:37 am - VA
Lynn, I did it for 30 years but ultimately ended up here anyway. I had to weigh under a specific amount every 6 months and successfully pass a physical fitness test to keep my job. Talk about motivation!  It was extremely stressful and I did stupid things like diuretics, laxatives and exercised until I broke my back doing it. You ruin your metabolism in the long run and none of the tricks work any more.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 2:43 am
well my reason for chosing wls was because i had tried everything and i was sick of it...i would be really successful but in the end i would gain it all back and then some...if your undecided you should defintley cancel or postpone your surgery...my question for you is what are you gonna when you get sick of your shakes and bars??
Lynn5707
on 6/22/11 2:53 am - IN
That's what I thought about the shakes and bars. I'm sticking with surgery as I feel it will help me the most, and while I realize after surgery I need to be low carb,I would like fruits and an occasional pasta or bread.

Thanks for the input!

Lynn
Laurie M.
on 6/22/11 3:16 am - KS
Sounds like Medifast to me. I did this diet and was very successful while I was on it. Loved being in a ketotic state cuz no hunger. Getting into ketosis is rough (takes about a week) when you start and it is easy to knock yourself out of ketosis with a piece of bread so you have to start over. I was on Medifast for almost a year and lost 45lbs. As soon as I started to transistion I gained it back. Medifast and Jenny Craig were my last two diets after hundreds of others. Now I have choosen vsg to do this once and for all. Good luck with your decision.

newdirectionhome
on 6/22/11 3:36 am
 I'm echoing everyone else. I was diagnosed with type two diabetes about two years ago. I figured it would finally motivate me to swear off carbs. I did for about three months, lost about 8 pounds, took Metphormin. BUT I still had the high fasting blood sugar. After surgery I am within normal ranges.

I have seen so many people (especially myself) lose weight, then gain back when they try to transition to maintenance. I am still early in my process, but I can tell you it is helpful to have the VSG restriction. I literally cannot binge any more. After a particularly difficult situation, I started mindlessly eating Triscuits. I ate six and was miserable. I looked at the box, that is the serving size. You will have a tool that makes permanent lifestyle changes possible.

It is a permanent decision, so make it carefully. Good luck on your journey.
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Price S.
on 6/22/11 4:16 am - Mills River, NC
My pre-surgery diet was Optifast.  5 shakes a day plus one small food meal.  I think I lost 8lbs in the 4 weeks.  It was very boring and I couldn't have done it without cheating if I had to do it long term.  It did help get me ready for surgery and I am grateful for that. 

Most if not all of us here have lost weight in the past, we just need the tool to help keep it off.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lynn5707
on 6/22/11 4:23 am, edited 6/22/11 4:25 am - IN
Thanks again for all the great input.

I'm sticking with the sleeve. I, too, have seen people lose on strict diets and gain it back and more. And, like I said earlier, after re-reading the post-op diet, after time my surgeon's diet is basically protein, veggies and fruits and occ whole grains. That seems more doable and realistic for me.

Thanks again!

Cricket2000
on 6/22/11 5:44 am - IN
I'm early out yet, (feb 10) so I'm not the best to give advice.  I have a sleeve.   I did all of the diets too, was very sucessful, but could not keep the weight off.  My problem was sugar.  I was addicted.  I ate a 1/2 of a cost co cookie a week ago.  It made me sick.  I also dump with too much sugar.  Not all sleevers do.  I am greatful that I do not "grow out of this" dumping thing.  It is what I needed.

If you are unsure, please do more research. 
Jody ***
on 6/22/11 7:03 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I did the Medifast diet - shakes and some bars.  Lost all my weight and kept it off for about 3 years - then gained it all back plus some.  I've NOT been successful with keeping weight off after extreme dieting.  I also lost my gallbladder after that diet, but then that can also happen after WLS.

WLS gives you the time to learn HOW to maintain afterwards.  The restriction keeps your intake low and hunger at bay.  You are learning good nutrition during this time so maintenance is much easier to maintain.

Make the right decision for you. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views