Salad--worthless NUT

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 2:23 am - Asheville, NC
 So, I visited the NUT for my 3 week post op appointment.  He's been a nutritionist for exactly 2 weeks.  I know ya gotta start somewhere, but he was NO help.  At all.  

I expected a list of acceptable foods at this point.  
No list.  
He gave me a list of proteins and how many grams in each.

I asked about salad and he said just try it and see how it goes.  I'm not sure how I feel about that answer.  

What do yall think?  I'll be 4 weeks out on Wednesday.  Can I eat salad yet?  I know I should be focusing on protein, but I'd love just a bite of salad!  

Thoughts? 
Thanks!!
Carrie

RNY June 22, 2011        Asheville, NC
    c
www.carriestewartemrick.wordpress.com 
Highest Weight 250      Starting Weight  226      Goal Weight  ???
Height 5'  6.5"
italianspice
on 7/17/11 4:17 am - Eastlake, OH
Four weeks out maybe a little early for fresh veggies. But you can always try a bite and chew it well. Then see how it goes, but you are spot on about focusing on your protein first.

There's alot of trial and error post op. I am sure have seen that some people can tolerate some foods and others not at all.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 6:40 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, italianspice wrote:
Four weeks out maybe a little early for fresh veggies. But you can always try a bite and chew it well. Then see how it goes, but you are spot on about focusing on your protein first.

There's alot of trial and error post op. I am sure have seen that some people can tolerate some foods and others not at all.
 I sorta felt like it's too early.  Thanks!
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
Mama477
on 7/17/11 5:36 am
We had raw veggies at 6 weeks. Romaine didn't sit well at all.
You can google OSU bariatrics and their website has good info for each step -- if you want to run it by your NUT. is there a NP in the office you could talk to -- or another NUT???

Good luck!
Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 6:41 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Mama477 wrote:
You can google OSU bariatrics and their website has good info for each step -- if you want to run it by your NUT. is there a NP in the office you could talk to -- or another NUT???

Good luck!
Meg
 I'm going to call and see if there's another NUT I can talk to.  I read about people having lists of what should be OK to eat at each stage and I didn't receive such information.  I'll definitely check out the OSU bariatric website!  Thanks for the tip.
Carrie
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
hollykim
on 7/17/11 2:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 17, 2011 at 1:41 PM Pacific Time, Carrie S. wrote:
On July 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Mama477 wrote:

Good luck!
Meg
 I'm going to call and see if there's another NUT I can talk to.  I read about people having lists of what should be OK to eat at each stage and I didn't receive such information.  I'll definitely check out the OSU bariatric website!  Thanks for the tip.
Carrie
Wouldn't you think the surgeon has instructed all the NUTs on what protocol he wants his patients to follow? some surgeons don't have a hard and fgast list of acceptable foods...just saying...
H

Kermit P.
on 7/17/11 7:12 am
Carrie...

From what I have read on here, I think it is too early.  I know that they are down a dietician at the office (for awhile) as one got very ill.  I did not find my first post surgery appt there super helpful except I brought a ton of questions and basically felt comfortable leaving there to start pureed food.  I personally expected more from them and have not made a f/up appt.  I feel torn about this as I want to be as compliant as possible and as healthy as possible but feel like going may be a waste of time.  I also work with dieticians so can ask them questions if I really need to know something.

I would HATE for you to get sick on salad so you may want to wait.....OR chew a little and see what happens. I tend to be a chicken when trying new things....still havent tried bread yet.  I do NOT enjoy the foamies so I tend to not explore as much as I should food wise....

Good luck!!!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 7:29 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM Pacific Time, jpkermit wrote:
Carrie...

From what I have read on here, I think it is too early.  I know that they are down a dietician at the office (for awhile) as one got very ill.  I did not find my first post surgery appt there super helpful except I brought a ton of questions and basically felt comfortable leaving there to start pureed food.  I personally expected more from them and have not made a f/up appt.  I feel torn about this as I want to be as compliant as possible and as healthy as possible but feel like going may be a waste of time.  I also work with dieticians so can ask them questions if I really need to know something.

I would HATE for you to get sick on salad so you may want to wait.....OR chew a little and see what happens. I tend to be a chicken when trying new things....still havent tried bread yet.  I do NOT enjoy the foamies so I tend to not explore as much as I should food wise....

Good luck!!!

~~Jennifer
 I will definitly wait on the salad.  I'm not interested in pushing the envelope!

There's a NUT in her 50's probably that was there.  I liked her pre-surgery a LOT.  I too went with a ton of questions and frankly he couldn't answer them.  I even took my husband (he does all the cooking) and it really was a waste of time.  

Sad.

But I have you guys to help me!!!  I told my husband yall are way more helpful than anyone else!

Carrie
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
Price S.
on 7/17/11 7:18 am - Mills River, NC

Our first solid food stage didn't include any salad.  The veggies were all cooked, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, beets, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, asperagus tips.  It was at least 2 more weeks before we could eat raw veggies and I'm thinking that was around 2 months out.  But every plan is different.  Maybe Jennifer or Brenda, who were at your group before the change in Nuts, have the information from their early weeks.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 7:41 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, Price S. wrote:

Our first solid food stage didn't include any salad.  The veggies were all cooked, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, beets, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, asperagus tips.  It was at least 2 more weeks before we could eat raw veggies and I'm thinking that was around 2 months out.  But every plan is different.  Maybe Jennifer or Brenda, who were at your group before the change in Nuts, have the information from their early weeks.

Thanks Price.  I expected as much.  I need to find me some good lists for the stages. 

THanks for the advice.  :-)
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views