Oily hair hours after washing??

kelly_hope
on 8/22/11 3:57 am - Marysville, WA
I did a search on here and found oily hair can be a symptom of B2 deficiency. Can anyone confirm this? I'm so frustrated! I wash my hair and literally by the time it's dry, my scalp looks as oily as if it hasn't been washed in a week! I stopped using conditioner at my hubby's suggestion that it was making it worse, but there's been no difference. Except now my hair is crunchy from being dry.. other than my scalp. I've also got dandruff which I've never had in my life. 

And all this while I'm losing hair.

Urgh.

I'm glad I had thick hair to start with.

Does a shorter hair style do anything for making it look like I haven't lost hair? Or should I keep it the length it is? It's several inches past my shoulders.

I'm trying not to be obsessed about it, but today is not good. It's Monday, I got 4 hours of sleep, my period is late, I have oily, dry, flaky scalp, and I haven't lost an ounce in 2 weeks.

BUT! I've lost inches, my pants are too loose, and I feel like I look thinner. So all is not lost. It's just a hiccup.
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 4:27 am
 Wow  i NEVER thought of that - B 12   defincency  making hair oily  .   I have a friend with EXACTLY  that problem .... and she is CERTAINLY   vitamin deficient    It s  so COOL  to heara SOLUTION !!!!!  

Wow  its so NICE to have  ttrue  and KNOWLEDGEABLE  friends  here    

hollykim
on 8/22/11 11:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Op said B2 not B12 FYI if you are going to pass the info along to ur friend.
H

MacMadame
on 8/22/11 5:30 am - Northern, CA
It's probably hormones. Ours get whacked out during rapid weight loss.

Another issue is that sometimes when we aren't getting enough fat, our body overcompensates in the scalp area. IOW, it combats the dryness by making too much oil.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Price S.
on 8/22/11 7:41 am - Mills River, NC
Mine got dry instead of oily but I was justtalking  to my hairdresser today and she was talking about having folks add baking soda to their shampoo to help with oileness.  Work it into your scalp well and rinse well.  maybe it will help.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

aspan
on 8/22/11 8:47 am
My hair got dry as well..and like you I have very thick hair so that helped as it was falling out..it will get better though in time, with biotin, lots of protein, and adequate hydration..My hair has stopped falling out and is back to its orginal body and shine.
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Kiminey65
on 8/22/11 1:55 pm
RNY on 10/25/10 with
My hair is definitely thinner than before, but not too bad. It's also dry and limp due to rapid weight loss I think.
I added moroccan oil for hydration after my shower, and once my hair is towel dried . And yes, a shorter hairstyle gives the illusion of thicker hair.

Eliza55
on 8/22/11 11:47 pm - PA

Thanks for the post.  My hair has become oily at the scalp, and limp, and of course is starting to fall out.  I thought the sleep apnea headpiece was partially to blame for the oil and limpness, but I'll work on getting my protein back on track, and b-vitamins.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 479 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views