Snacks

kimberly_gr
on 9/19/11 9:35 am
I have RH.  I had it even before surgery, but my surgery exasperated this condition.  To keep it under control I have to eat something with protein every 2-3 hours.  Fortunately I'm still losing weight, albeit a little more slowly now.

My question to you is, what do you like to have for snacks?  I'm really getting tired of my usual cheese and fruit, peanut butter, nuts, or lunchmeat.  I manage to choke down a protein shake here and there, but I'm not a fan (sorry Gina).  Any ideas for something different?  I also eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast; so I'm usually not in the mood to have them for snacks.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Price S.
on 9/19/11 10:00 am - Mills River, NC
wow.  I would have a hard time without my shakes.
How about deviled egg or egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad.  Edemama, protein bars, pepperoni (nuked), flax muffin.
I cook chicken thighs and freeze them so I can pull one out when I need it.  I cook extra of almost everything so I can either have it the next day for lunch or my 4pm meal.
Hopefully something of this list will work for you.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kimberly_gr
on 9/19/11 10:05 am

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I haven't even thought about deviled eggs or the salads for a while. good ideas!

I'm sick of the same old stuff.

Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Kermit P.
on 9/19/11 12:06 pm

Like Price said, I cut up boiled eggs into 4s and eat them.,....chicken salad is easy to make in a pinch....just open a can of canned chicken and mix in mayo or even some greek yogurt.....soy chips are yummy but portion control is key due to the carbs.  Also, mini egg bakes I also freeze.  Protein pudding is also one of my daily standbys and often an afternoon treat at work.....I use one box of sugar free chocolate pudding mixed with two scoops of choc protein.....mix well and then add two cups milk and I make 4 snack portions out of it......ends up being 14-15 grams of protein each.....almost as much in a shake.....I tried this with vanilla protein and HATED it.

Also, have you tried ready to drink protein shakes....this I like way better than one I make.....

Good luck!!!

p.s. I have to eat every 2-3 hrs too cause I get HUNGRY! 

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
kimberly_gr
on 9/20/11 10:04 am

Thanks Jennifer.  I actually get hungry too--I only went through a short period of time where my hunger sort of went away.  Fortunately it's not as bad as before surgery.

I'm going to look up Eggface's mini egg bakes.

Kim
5'0"

loverofcats
on 9/19/11 1:26 pm
I liked roasted edamane or roasted unsalted soy nuts. They have a good mixture of protein, fat, and carbohydrate. I get mine at Whole Foods. They need to be measured, since they are very addictive.

I use a small amound of mashed up avocado in the place of mayo. Avocado has healthier nutrients than mayo.

I don't like protein drinks either, but I add some beneprotein (whey isolate) to my Greek yogurt, oatmeal, milk, or anything else you can think of. It is flavorless and mixes well. Plus, it doesn't have any artificial sweetners.

Jerky might be a good snack, as well as a low carb bar. Peanut butter on celery, apple.

I just had my one year check-up last Friday, and the Bariatric Internist said that she had just been to a conference, where there was discussion of RH with VSG patients. She said she has 3 documented cases, backed up with lab work confirming the RH. So, this is a  real problem and another reason for always having some protein with carbohydrate.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ms.Desertdoll
on 9/19/11 2:10 pm
Howdy,

I like to nuke some premade turkey or turkey/pork sausage in the morning. I then let cool a little put in a snack bag and eat later in the day. There are only two brands that I actually like this way.

If you have time to cook, I also make taco or italian seasoned  turkey crumbles and add some cheese. Then I put into small contaniers and top with sour cream. They travel well and taste okay cold although I usually nuke for a few seconds. If you some carbs don't bother you, you can add low sugar spagetti, sloppy joe mix or salsa to it. I don't know how long they last in the fridge. Since, my family will take it out put in tortillas or chips as soon as they realize they are there. 

A good friend of mine eats Vienna sausages for snacks. She just pops the can and eats them without heating up, much to my disgust. But she does not like that I heat up half a soy patty, top with chesse and reduce sugar ketchup or salsa for a snack or that I eat edamame straight from the pod with nothing on them.

Good luck finding some protein snacks that suit you.

kimberly_gr
on 9/20/11 10:07 am
I made the mistake of reading the ingredients for Vienna sausages one time and haven't touched them since.  I used to love them.

I like your outside-the-box thinking of making up the little mini-meals with the meat, cheese and sour cream (I would probably use Greek yogurt for more protein).
Kim
5'0"

italianspice
on 9/19/11 9:28 pm - Eastlake, OH
Protein balls, if you have a chocolate protein powder you can tolerate. If  you search on this site you will find several different versions. I love about time protein powder. You can order trial packs from their site. I make a chocolate almond protein pancake that I cut into quarters to munch on during the day. It helps with my carb cravings without the carbs. I found the recipe on ez whey, I use one scoop instead of half on the protein powder.

On eggface she has a long list of recipes for egg bites that freeze great. I love these because they are easy to bring to work and pop in the microwave. Not to mention a ton of other ideas too!

Love to take a lettuce leaf to wrap egg, tuna or chicken salad in. It also works great with a slice of roastbeef with a little horseradish for some spice. My pouch doesnt enjoy the low carb wraps.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

kimberly_gr
on 9/20/11 10:10 am

Thanks Maria.  My tummy doesn't seem to like lettuce, so the lettuce wraps are out for me.  But I am going to look up the egg bite recipes.  I'm also going to look up the pancake recipe--I might like protein powder in a recipe.  I need to be more open minded about it.

Kim
5'0"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 295 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views