Potato Substitutes

lerkhart
on 9/26/11 3:03 am

I was looking for a substitute for potatoes because of the carbs.  I decided to try Turnip roots and see how I liked them.  They were actually pretty good.  I peeled them and boiled them in water, salt & a little I Can't Believe Its not Butter Lite.  They also had a lot less calories.  Look at the different stats on the carbs.  I found the chart below at this website:  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/rootvegetables. htm
Potatoes

• 1 cup raw cubed (150 grams) - 22 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (145 grams) - 29 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Turnips

• 1 cup raw chopped (130 grams) - 6 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (230 grams) - 7 grams carb, 5 grams fiber

Rutabagas

• 1 cup raw chopped (140 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (240 grams) - 17 grams carb, 4 grams fiber

Sweet Potatoes

• 1 cup raw cubed (132 grams) - 23 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (328 grams) - 50 grams carb, 8 grams fiber

Yam

Note: I can't ascertain what kind of yam is referred to in the database. In the US, some of what are called yam (e.g. garnet yams) are a type of sweet potato and are unrelated to what is called yams in other places. 
  • 1 cup raw chopped (150 grams) - 36 grams of carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber
  • 1 cup cooked pieces (136 grams) - 25 grams carb, 5 grams fiber

Celery Root (Celariac)

• 1 cup raw (100 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber

Carrots

• 1 cup raw chopped (128 grams) - 8 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber

Parsnips

• 1 cup raw slices (133 grams) - 17 grams of carbohydrate plus 7 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (145 grams) - 20 grams carb, 6 grams fiber

Beets

• 1 cup raw cubed (136 grams) - 9 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (170 grams) - 14 grams carb, 3 grams fiber
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 9/26/11 3:16 am - VA
Ok, gotta have a rutabaga soon!

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 9/26/11 10:12 am
I wonder why the rutabagas have so many more carbs if they are mashed.  Must be something they are adding to it. 
I always thought you were better off to do sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, but not according to this chart.
It says they got the info from the USDA, I hope it is accurate.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
GD6
on 9/27/11 1:15 am - Hamilton, Canada
Linda, I don't think it makes a difference in the carb count whether rutabaga's are mashed or not. When I was looking into this a while ago I learned that they have more carbs than plain turnip.

Mashed cauliflower is also good and you can "rice" it for a rice substitute.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Price S.
on 9/26/11 8:50 am - Mills River, NC
i haven't had most of those in ages.  I had some really good parsnips out to eat last year but haven't been able to duplicate the receipe.  I do love beets but no one else here does.  I like it any way served.  I may have to give turnips a try again.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 9/26/11 10:14 am
I've never had parsnips.  I've seen them cook it on the Food Network.  I don't care for beets much.

I tried turnips before surgery and hated them, but I like them now.  I love almost all kinds of the greens.  My taste have changed so much!!

Linda
GD6
on 9/27/11 1:16 am - Hamilton, Canada
I LOVE roasted beets, but hate parsnips.

lerkhart
on 9/27/11 2:35 am
How do you roast them? I've only had them pickled and did not like them.
GD6
on 9/27/11 2:53 am - Hamilton, Canada
Before surgery I would roast them with onions and shake and bake chicken.  Cut them into wedges and lightly coat with olive oil.

Now I'd probably use a little less olive oil.  Just peel and cut into wedges.  I think I roasted them at 350 or 400c?  Whatever the shake and bake package for chicken says. They typically took about 40 minutes or maybe a little less.

Roasted cauliflower is fantastic and my go to side almost everyday.  I 
cut them into chunks and toss them in a bowl to coat with a small amount of olive oil, lemon juice and garlic puree.  I also sprinkle some Mrs Dash on after they are in the roasting pan.  I roast them for about 30 minutes at 400c and let them sit to soften up a bit.  

I make big batches and freeze into portions in sandwich baggies which I then put into a big freezer bag. That way it only takes a couple minutes in the microwave to reheat them for dinner later on.  

Since I live alone I like to cook HUGE batches of things and freeze into portions.  That way I can have dinner ready quick and easy since I don't have a lot of time with my work and exercise schedule top cook during the week.

lerkhart
on 9/27/11 3:10 am
Great ideas.  Thanks so much.  I'm going to try the beets.  My DH loves them, but I never fix them because I don't eat them. 

I have eaten so much cauliflower.  I wanted to find something else and give it a rest.  I have not roasted it and froze it so I might try that.  I did fix a great faux potato salad with cauliflower the other week. 

I like to cook on the weekend when I have time and then eat on it all week so I don't have to cook during the week after work!!

I think I'm going to try some turnips cut like french fries and baked and see how they taste.  I just need some variety right now without going back to some old bad habits.... 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views