Protein promotes weight loss?

Monique A.
on 10/14/11 11:34 am
this may be a dumb question but I need to ask. What exactly is the high amount of protein used for? Is it to promote the weight loss or help us stay full and/or promote healing.
I struggle to get the 80 grams of protein every day but I have read several posts that taking the protein helps to get people off the weight loss plateau.

Ladytazz
on 10/14/11 11:47 am
I believe it is all of the above.  With a malabsorptive procedure we may not be absorbing all the protein we take in so we have to supplement it.  I find that the more protein I eat the less of other things I eat.  High protein things such as meat and chicken are very dense and filling.  They also help us keep from losing muscle during the rapid weight loss phase and it is very important in healing.
Once I made the decision to get in at least 100 grams of protein a day my weight loss really took off and I am rarely hungry.  Don't know if that is connected but it is good enough for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

aspan
on 10/14/11 1:20 pm
I agree with what Tazz said..I know I feel my best when I get close to 100. I don't usually make it usually I get closer to 80 but I do find my mood is better, I have more energy, and I find myself more satisified.
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Price S.
on 10/14/11 8:06 pm - Mills River, NC
yes and yes.  i have 2 surgeries scheduled and am trying to stay over 125, close to 150 in preparation for the surgeries.  But keeping around 100+ made my loss steadier.  I slowed but never really had a stall.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

AnneGG
on 10/15/11 12:29 am
I keep my protein at around 100 gms just because I was told to, and it seems like a good idea. I don't think it keeps me less hungry- I've been having hunger attacks lately, maybe in preparation for winter, I don't know. I do avoid refined carbs, which I thinks helps the most with weight loss and avoiding regain.

I'm in maintenance now, and I just keep plugging one day at a time hoping that it all works out. I do love being healthy and thin, and I think the protein helps with that.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Monique A.
on 10/15/11 2:32 pm
I have no idea how to get that much protein--100gr. Basically that would mean three shakes a day and only meat.I am trying to increase and I think over time, it will become easier...hopefully. From what I am seeing from others, sounds like 80-100 grams per day is the recommended dose?

glzgowlass
on 10/16/11 7:35 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Yeah, those guys are further out than us.  My instructions (which I follow) are two shakes (50g) and about 25g (I think) from food if possible.  But they place emphasis on the 50g minimum from supplements.  Right now we can only eat a few ounces of meat at a time, but we'll be up to 80-100 when we're ready.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views