Too-small Boots

kimberly_gr
on 11/6/11 1:29 am
I'm having some frustration because I've lost 85 lbs, am at least a size 6, weight just 130 lbs, and I still can't get a great pair of boots to fit around my calves.

Yesterday I dragged my husband to Macy's to shop for a pair, and the ones I liked wouldn't fit.  Then I dragged him to TJ Maxx, where they had some fabulous designer boots deeply discounted, and they would fit either. 

So at dinner, I was talking about that frustration.  DH said "I think it's your height that's the problem."  Huh?  Then he said it again, and then I got it.  I'm only 5' tall.  The curvy part of my calf starts before someone who's taller.  Boots are made for taller women, and the boot widens at a higher point than what I need.  I swear that man has moments of genius!  For all these years that I've had this problem, I never thought of it this way.

For all of you petites that get frustrated trying to get boots to fit, this could be the reason.  If you don't have this problem, don't tell me; I like having a rationale for this problem.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Eliza55
on 11/6/11 2:01 am - PA
Your DH is correct.  I love to ski, and I have nice long legs, and could fit into ski boots even when I was at my heaviest.  I have some shorter friends who can't fit into regular ski boots.  They've had to go to a boot fitter to get something they can on.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

kimberly_gr
on 11/6/11 9:06 am
I never thought about ski boots being a challenge too.  I keep thinking I'll try skiing, and I'll have to think about that.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

loverofcats
on 11/6/11 2:32 am
I have the same problem. I tried on many boots last year, before I found a pair that I could zip up. Sometimes the ones with elastic are easier to get on. I found a pair of good looking boots at the Walk Shop in Berkeley that zip up and fit me great. They are very comfy, too.

I am only 4'11'' so I know what you are talking about. I discovered what your husband said to be true, when I was looking for boots last year.

http://www.walkshop.com/store/display.asp?g=female&b=rieker

The Salima style are the boots that I bought last year. They fit great and are very comfy.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

kimberly_gr
on 11/6/11 8:58 am
Those Salima's are exactly what I'm looking for.  Hmmm, they're a bit over what I was wanting to spend.  "Is it on sale?" is probably the first sentence my mother taught me, but I like your style.
Kim
5'0"

melizabeth
on 11/6/11 6:15 am - CA
Kim,
I'm 5' tall also.  Have you considered shorter mid-calf boots?  I just bought a pair and I think the shorter ones make me look taller.  But I understand if you need them taller to keep warm.  Not my issue here in Southern California.  Good luck.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

kimberly_gr
on 11/6/11 9:01 am
You could have a point, and I did see some mid-calf boots that were really cute.  I think I was wanting taller boots because 85 lbs ago, I couldn't even dream of wearing them.  I'll eventually find ones that work though.  I'm pretty persistent.
Kim
5'0"

MajorMom
on 11/6/11 7:06 am - VA
Yep, he's right. 5'1", runner and 30 years in combat boots--I know what you're talking about too.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

kimberly_gr
on 11/6/11 9:04 am
Oh yea, I bet combat boots, especially in the early years, were a real challenge.
Kim
5'0"

Price S.
on 11/6/11 8:08 am - Mills River, NC
Calves are one of the last places to lose.  I have lost some inches there but have no lose skin on my calves which tells you it is muscle, not fat left there.  I haven't even tried on boots yet but I have been thinking about them.  4'11" will make it more difficult. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 481 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views