What to do on Turkey day.

jpittman
on 11/21/11 6:50 pm - Winchester, CA
I'm one month out from surgery and don't know what to do about Thanksgiving.  My family is going out to eat this year so no one is cooking (this is good).  What should I eat?  I really haven't been cleared for poultry.  I'm just getting to where I'm supposed to add fish to my soft diet though I have had chicken a few times with no problems.  Should I order fish and drool over everyone else's dinners or go ahead and order the turkey and enjoy?  I've lost 17 lbs and I really don't want to blow it.
MajorMom
on 11/21/11 6:53 pm - VA
You might want to order something from the appetizer menu or just soup. Try to eat what you know you won't have trouble with and enjoy the conversation. Truth be known, I have trouble watching my family eat because they eat so much and so fast. Blech!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jpittman
on 11/21/11 6:57 pm - Winchester, CA
Thanks Gina!! What a wonderful idea.  The do make a good corn chower there.  I'm not sure if that's on my diet but i could eat a bowl of that and be satified.  I'll let you know what ends up happening.

Jacqui
Price S.
on 11/21/11 8:54 pm - Mills River, NC
I agree with the soup but corn wasn't on my approved list for a very long time, I think because of the shell on the kernal.  Is their menu on line?  It might be that cheesy mashed potatoes or something like that would be an option.  At this point, you need to think about texture and consistancy more than carbs or not.  A potato soup unless it is really high fat because some folks dump on fat. 
If you can have chicken, turkey would probably be fine except that sometimes it is so dry and that doesn't seem to work well early out.
I bet you can find something yummy.  Of course, I love fish so that would be fine with me to have.  One dinner won't blow your weightloss (old diet thinking) but you don't want to get sick eating something with too much fat or sugar that you aren't pretty sure you can tolerate.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lee ~
on 11/21/11 10:19 pm - CA
Please be careful with the corn.  I don't know what type of surgery you had.  Corn wasn't on my plan until way out either because of the jackets on the corn kernel can get caught in the staple line.

I agree with the advice you were given.  If you order fish you'll get a platefull of food and only be able to eat 1/4 of a cup.  That might make you feel even more deprived to have to push away a big plate of food.  Keep telling yourself that next year you'll be svelte and able to eat 2-3 ounces of turkey and a spoonful of assorted accessories.  It's well worth the wait.  It's way to soon to veer off your food plan, even for the "feasting holiday".   Your body deserves better and you have so much to be grateful for.   Take a box of Thank You Notes and while the family is eating, write a thank you card to everyone that has influenced you in a positive way in the last year.  Then mail them tomorrow.  I guarantee you'll feel better than if you'd try to cram in a bit of food to satisfy the desire for a party in your mouth.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

italianspice
on 11/21/11 10:42 pm - Eastlake, OH
I would not chance eating something new when out. If it does not agree with you, you will feel miserable. I would hate for you not to enjoy visiting with your family.
Try to focus on your family and visiting.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

loverofcats
on 11/22/11 12:19 am
At one month, soup or a soft fish will be your best bet. Anything else, will most likely make you sick. I couldn't eat anything at one month out. Stay away from corn and cream soups (high in fat). A small amount of mashed potatoes would probably be okay. You just won't be able to eat much of anything.

Last year I was about 10 weeks out from surgery at Thanksgiving, and even taking small bites of different foods didn't go down very well. I could only eat about 1-1.5 ounce of a soft fish. Please be careful. You are really early out. I did have a few bites of pumpkin, which was okay, but mostly I stayed with yogurt and protein.

Personally, unless the turkey is dark meat, it might cause some problems due to the dryness. Although, a little gravy might help to decrease the dryness. Just be careful.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Roz !!!!
on 11/22/11 1:05 am, edited 11/22/11 3:37 am - Butler, PA
I had my RNY 3 years ago on Oct. 15th and I enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with my family.  You said you had a little chicken and did alright and personally I think turkey is moister than chicken.  I wouldn't order a whole meal though because it would be a waste of money.  I'd ask for an extra plate and take a few bites from someone who wouldn't mind sharing.  You will probably be satisfied and happy with 1 bite of several different things.  Yams and  sweet potatoes are good for you (watch the extra toppings like brown sugar if you dump),  1 bite of mashed  potatoes, 1 bite of turkey with a "little" gravy to make it moister.  1 bite of stuffing (maybe add a little water to moisten it).  Skip the dessert because you don't want to get in the habit of eating sweets. 

You'll be surprised how much more you enjoy the company when you aren't focusing on the food. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

grdn_grl
on 11/22/11 2:04 am
Great advice Roz!!  I suffered almost two years with the lapband where eating in front of anyone was usually a disaster.  It was removed Dec 2010 and now, Dec 19 2011, I will be having a VSG.  I'll be on liquids for a while but it's encouraging to hear how the focus can/will be off of the food at a gathering, it actually sounds great!!!
Roz !!!!
on 11/22/11 3:37 am - Butler, PA
Congrats on going to the next level!!  At 3 years out I still have to eat slow or things get stuck and that is such a horrible feeling and isn't something that I want to happen out in public.   I used to rush to the buffet line or was one of the first ones to order but now I take my time, eat slow, and enjoy conversation during the meal.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...