Feeling like a hypocrite...

Ramie A.
on 12/4/11 11:47 pm - Bronx, New York, NY
So I've lost 50 lbs since my highest weight and everyone is ooh-ing and ah-ing and asking me how I did it.  And I say the usual, which is protein, protein, protein and only veggie carbs.  "I only eat regular carbs on special occasions."   I say "I'm addicted to carbs/sugar so I can't eat even a little bit or it puts me into a downward spiral." 

But yesterday I had 3 donut munchkins (I used to eat 12), plus a handful of M&Ms out of my bag of trail mix (I threw the rest of the candy pieces away), and crackers with my soup.  Certainly it wasn't a good day but I know I'm not perfect, so I'm not being too hard on myself.  I'm back in the saddle today (with a migraine, which I KNOW is from the carbs because I used to get them all the time). 

But I feel like to a total hypocrite when I emphasize the whole "no carb" thing so vigorously.  What do you guys tell people when they ask how you lost weight? 
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

MajorMom
on 12/5/11 1:00 am - VA
I tell people at work low carb and high protein. Everyone else I come clean. My work is all ex military and they wouldn't get it...at all...ever. lol

Don't beat yourself up too bad. You'll get comfortable in your own good time with what and whom you tell.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 12/5/11 1:34 am
I tell anyone who asked that I had gastric bypass.  I do tell them that it can all be gained back if I don't stick to the program and exercise so now it is up to me. 

We all fall off the wagon, but it is a lot easier to get back on track now.  Just try not to get hung back up on the bad carb/sugars.  It is easier to eat now and get away with it, but once your honeymoon period is over, it won't be as easy.  Maintenance is tough!!  There are a lot of things I wish I had never touched, it would have made it a lot easier now.

You have done a great job so far - congratulations.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Ladytazz
on 12/5/11 4:03 am
I don't tell a lot of people about my surgery, mainly just family.  When people ask how I lost weight I just say that I changed the way I eat (true) and that I avoid refined carbs (true) and watch my portions (true).  I don't tell them that I had surgery to help me to those things.
Some people know that I had surgery on my stomach and that I had most of my stomach removed because of problems I was having.  I just don't go into detail if I don't have to.  If someone comes out and asks if I had a bypass I tell them that I had surgery a while back to lose weight and I had to have some tweaks to it due to side effects.
I will be more forthcoming to people who are MO if I think it can help but I really don't advocate for WLS because I don't think it is the answer for everyone.  I do have a friend whose doctor has recommended it for her and I have talked to her about it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Price S.
on 12/5/11 5:11 am - Mills River, NC
Mostly I tell folks I had gastric bypass.  Not everyone, but many. 

And I have been horrible lately, m&ms, pound cake my sister brought.  My meals are very low carb and certainly protein first, but having those sugary things around isn't good for me.

I do find it easier to get back on track now than before.  I don't really think I am carb additted because if they are gone, I am ok but I sure do love them if they are around.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ramie A.
on 12/5/11 5:15 am - Bronx, New York, NY
Thanks for all of your answers.  However, I was concerned by my feeling like a hypocrite rather than "do I / don't I".  I do tell some people I had WLS, and some people I don't.  But I tell everyone I'm really strict on eating carbs when in fact I'm not that strict and I break my own rules fairly often.  I suppose what you all are telling me is that I should moderate my statements to say that "I'm eating lots of protein and very few carbs, and smaller portions too."  Which is true. 
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

paulrap
on 12/5/11 10:15 pm
Ramie you are doing awesome! I revised on 9/26/11 from band to RNY and I am down 17. I am finding things are moving pretty slow for me, but I won't lie, I have not stuck to plan rigorously, maybe because I never really stopped from my original surgery 1/2009. I find I do well all day and then in the evening I cave with the snacks. I never eat a true dinner but I make up for it with snacks.

Keep up the great work!!!

Hope your day is great!

Paula

Banded 1/22/2009 Revision to RNY 9/26/11

Lee ~
on 12/5/11 10:54 pm - CA
I'm not specific with people, particularly at work.  There I just say I had a major lifestyle change with lots of exercise and healthy eating.  I don't say low carb much because there are those times when I do eat a bit of carbs.

My friends all know I have a nice little Sleevie inside to keep me on track.  I don't tell strangers unless they ask and it's a situation where I think it might benefit them to hear the truth about WLS.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 295 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views