New to board-DS or VSG?

downsize54
on 2/3/12 11:39 pm - MI
DS on 07/12/12
Have completed 6 months "supervised" diet program per insurance requirement. Am in process of fulfilling dietary, cardiac, therapist appoinments. Had decided on VSG but have begun to question if the DS would be a better long term choice for me. Present wt 210, 5"2", diabetic. From what I "think" I've read, the DS requires access to a bathrooms more frequently (?). I'm a visiting nurse, so on road alot, not always near bathrooms (it's discouraged to use clients, and to be truthful, much of the time you wouldn't want too).Advise? Would expecting a goal wt of 135 be too much to expect from VSG?
MajorMom
on 2/3/12 11:59 pm - VA
I think you might be surprised to know most DSrs don't suffer from the scare tactics spouted about by the medical community. I go potty 2 times before I hit the showers to go to work, that's it...I'm done for the day. I control my carbs and sugar alcohols which curbs the gas and also take a probiotic. DS gives you a 98% "cure" rate for type II diabetes. If southernlady chimes in here today, send her a friend request so you can see all the research she did as a pre-op. She has it posted on her profile or can direct you to where she has it stored now. Research and read, you'll eventually get a "warm fuzzy" feeling about the best choice for yourself. It doesn't matter which you choose, you're always welcome here on the Lightweights board. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MajorMom
on 2/4/12 12:00 am - VA
I almost forgot...to research more about the DS, go to www.dsfacts.com . Also, many of the DS vets are now on Proboards, if you'd like the link, let me know.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

southernlady5464
on 2/4/12 1:29 am
On February 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM Pacific Time, downsize54 wrote:
Have completed 6 months "supervised" diet program per insurance requirement. Am in process of fulfilling dietary, cardiac, therapist appoinments. Had decided on VSG but have begun to question if the DS would be a better long term choice for me. Present wt 210, 5"2", diabetic. From what I "think" I've read, the DS requires access to a bathrooms more frequently (?). I'm a visiting nurse, so on road alot, not always near bathrooms (it's discouraged to use clients, and to be truthful, much of the time you wouldn't want too).Advise? Would expecting a goal wt of 135 be too much to expect from VSG?
Being diabetic, I would personally go with the DS every single time. My research is on my blog. which is the only part of my profile open to the public because I've deleted all personal information but left the research. www.obesityhelp.com/member/southernlady5464/uzone,blog/actio n,view/blog_id,290161/

If you can't see it, send me a friend request.

I was 5'4" (according to my PCP) 5'3" according to my surgeon, weighed in at 208 with a BMI of 35.2. And was not only an insuling dependent diabetic but on an insulin pump along with metformain.

I now weigh 132, no longer using insulin or metformin at ALL.

I would have considered the VSG if my insurance had covered it but it didn't...but now, I am thankful, they didn't...VSG'er's don't have the high rate of diabetes remission. And they are more likely to regain unless they are very careful.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

southernlady5464
on 2/4/12 1:31 am
Oh, and the on;ly time I had trouble getting away from the bathroom was the first couple of weeks I was still on JUST liquids...once I added real food, things sorted themselves out. I go in the morning and once in a while, in the evening but that's it.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Panda ..
on 2/4/12 3:32 am, edited 2/4/12 3:34 am
downsize54
on 2/4/12 4:21 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12
 Thanks all for your input. Not sure if the surgeon I am working with does the DS but will now check (Dr.Verseman in Kalamazoo, MI). We had originally discussed VSG and had until very recently planned for that. I really want to put a halt to the diabetes. 
MajorMom
on 2/4/12 4:32 am - VA
He's not a DS surgeon. There is a good DS surgeon in Michigan--Kemmeter, I think. Check the list on DSFacts.com . A surgeon that doesn't know how to do the DS will likely tr to steer you away from it so he can keep your business.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

loverofcats
on 2/4/12 4:26 am
I'll just chime in and say that I had the VSG about 17 months ago. I am 4'11" and started out at 210 lbs. I did lose a significant amount of weight pre-op, which helped me to reach a normal BMI after surgery. I have been maintaining within a 2 lb window since mid-April, about 108-110 lbs. I track my food, exercise 4-6 times/week, attend face to face and online support groups. Maintenance is actually where the real work begins. Success is continuing with the lifestyle changes that helped you to reach goal.

At 5'2" and 210 lbs, 135 lbs, if not lower, is certainly within your reach. You do have to work at it, the further out that you get from surgery, but it is all about maintaining the lifestyle changes. ANY WLS can be eaten around. The malabsorptive surgeries are great for resolving or putting diabetes into remission. The VSG also does this, but there is more research going on regarding this outcome. The reduction in weight and hormonal changes are thought to be the factors for putting diabetes into remission.

If you are good at taking vitamins and supplements, then the DS may be for you, but it certainly takes more attention. Some people just are horrible about taking vitamins and supplements and that is where they run into problems with the malabsorptive surgeries, such as the RNY and DS. The VSG also can create nutritional deficiencies, but they can generally be corrected in a shorter amount of time than with the RNY/DS.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

MajorMom
on 2/4/12 4:35 am - VA
I agree with you on the vitamins point especially.  DS and RNY require a lot of attention regarding labs and vitamins. Good point, Gail. I didn't mean to gloss over that point.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!