Baby Chicken Pot Pie & Flourless Cake Recipes

lerkhart
on 2/6/12 12:52 am

Here is the link to the Baby Chicken Pot Pies I made yesterday.  They were absolutely delicious!!  I used CarbQuick in the crust.  She has another suggestion that you can use instead of flour.  This link to the recipe from Nik on the RNY board she has a great website that has lots of recipes to offer.

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/02/niks-lil-baby-po t-pies.html

The flourless chocolate cake I got out of a supplement that comes in our newspaper.

I substituted a couple of things - here is how I made it.

8 ozs of sugar free chocolate chips ( this does have sugar alcohol and carbs)
3/4 cup of butter - I used lite
1 cup splenda(I used Winn Dixie brand)
4 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Stir together half the sweetner and the four egg yolks.  Add this to the melted chocolate/butter.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites; slowly add the reamaining 1/2 cup of sweetner until stiff peaks form.  Fold this into the chocolate mixture - do not stir just fold.

Pour into a greased 9 inch cake pan.

Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.  Took mine about 50 minutes.  Cool 30 minutes before removing from pan.  Optional: Dust with powdered sugar - mine did not need this.

I don't have the stats made with these ingredients.  I do know it had the sugar alcohols so if that is a problem you would need to be careful with this recipe.  Not sure I could make this much because it was so good - and I have very little self control with sweets.  But this would be a great dessert to take somewhere and share.

Anyone else have any great recipes they have tried lately that you would like to share???

Linda 

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
italianspice
on 2/6/12 7:26 am - Eastlake, OH
Thanks Linda! Sounds awesome!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Price S.
on 2/6/12 10:26 am - Mills River, NC
both sound good.  I have yet to get some small ramkins but I need to pick some up.  And some low carb baking mix. 

I agree with the cake.  Sounds like I would eat it in one sitting, not good.  no one else here is big on chocolate cake so the chocolate protein one serving one will have to do for me for a while.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lynn5707
on 2/6/12 9:37 pm - IN
Oh they sound delicious. I love chocolate cake and chicken pot pies. Cannot wait to try them.

Thanks for sharing these!

GD6
on 2/7/12 12:42 am - Hamilton, Canada
I came across a chicken pot pie recipe on one of the blogs I subscribe to.  I HAVE to make it one of these days.

http://comfybelly.com/2009/09/chicken-pot-pie/#.TzFUJMUfS5I 

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

Out of nowhere I had a request for chicken pot pie. Before Crohn’s and food issue**** us, I cannot remember ever making or buying chicken pot pie. I’ve made shepherd’s pie, but that’s about it. So, I’m not sure where the initial inspiration came from, but I thought, sure, let’s do it. I’m up for the challenge.

I checked one website before I embarked on this recipe exploration, and I found a great guide, as I do many times, at Simply Recipes. So here is another current favorite in our house.

I’ve made this dish three times now, and each time the kids have loved it. Besides this being a nice dinner entree, they eat it for breakfast, and bring it for lunch – with the friendly reminder to bring back the ramekin, pleeaassee. “The what? Oh, the dish – ok."

CHICKEN POT PIE

For the filling (makes about 4 individual small pot pies)

• 2-3 cups of shredded chicken (I usually use leftover roasted chicken)
  • 2 cups of chicken stock (or water)
  • 1/2 cup of almond milk (or other milk, or yogurt works too!)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 cup of peas (or more)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, dried
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
  • add other stuff you like – mushrooms, onions, string beans, you name it
  • dash of black pepper
  • 6 ramekins (approx. 7 ounce capacity)

For the crust (or use your favorite crust recipe; you may not need all of this crust, so either cut the recipe ingredients in half or freeze half in a sealed container or plastic bag)

• 2 1/2 3 cups of blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 2 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
  • 1 2 eggs

Preparation

1. Boil all the filling ingredients except for the almond milk, in a saucepan or frying pan for about 10 minutes, or until the celery and carrots begin to soften.
  2. Remove 1 cup of chicken stock (the liquid in the mixture) and add the almond milk and simmer for another 5 minutes or so, until the flavor is developed.
  3. Make the crust by combining all the ingredients in a food processor, or combine by hand.
  4. Add some filling to a ramekin.
  5. Take a small ball of dough, flatten it to a disk size, and place it over the filled ramekin. Repeat for all your ramekins until the filling is used up. You won’t need all the dough in this recipe.
  6. Bake the ramekins at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until the crust is browned.
  7. Cool and enjoy. These are hot, and we’re usually impatient, so I serve them with a napkin rapped around them.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 315 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views