What's Cooking

lerkhart
on 3/9/12 12:21 am, edited 3/9/12 12:30 am
Ok, it is time to share our new finds(or great old finds)  this week.

I had the stuffed bell peppers made with cauliflower instead of rice and they were delicious.  Even DH loved them.  Of course since he loved them, they were gone in 2-3 days.

I got it from The Food Network Emeril Lagasse's Mr. John's Meat Stuffed Bell Peppers and modified it some.

6 Green Bell Peppers, Tops cut off and seeds removed
4 tbls vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
1/2 cup finely chopped red peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground italian sausage
2 tbls minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups grated cauliflower - I used 3/4 of a large head
8 ounces tomato sauce

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the pappers until just tender 2-3 minutes.  Remove with a slotted sppon and allow to dry on paper towels

In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add raw cauliflower, onions and bell peppers and cook, stiring until soft about 3 minutes- it took me longer than 3 minutes because I had the cauliflower in here also.  

Recipe says to add the beef, pork(sausage) into this- next time I would brown the meat in a separate pan so I could drain the grease off of it and then put it in the veggie pan.  Add the garlic, salt, black pepper and pepper flakes.  After meat is done and mixed thoroughly with veggies & seasonings add the tomato sauce and heat.  

Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8 inch deep.  Stuff the bell peppers with the mixture and place in the baking dish.  Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through 25 to 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

I had some of the stuffing left over and I will probably just eat this - it was so good. 

I did not do the calorie count, but I would not think it would be that bad since it is an entire meal.

I also had Swiss Steak.  I got this recipe from Bariatriceating.com(few changes) but can't find it on her site now. So I'll type it in here.
Four 5-oz pieces of beef cubed steak - trimmed-I cut mine into smaller pieces
1/4 cup flour for dusting (I used Carbquick or Atkins flour)
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbls olive oil
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 medium onion, sliced
1 - 15 oz can of tomato sauce
Put flour, seasoning in zip lock bag and mix up.  Place steak pieces in the bag to lightly coat with the seasoned flour.  Brown the steak pieces in the olive oil in a nonstick skillet and remove to a plate.  Saute the green peppers and onion in the same pan, stirring occasionally until soft 5-7 minutes.  Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of water and add the steak along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate.  Turn steak pieces to coat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

I also made the Carbquik:  Quick Cinnamon Rolls
Here is the link to that recipe:
http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe2.php?c=78
I actually didn't make the icing this time and actually liked them better without it.  I did not put the nuts and I used lite butter.  Make sure it is warmed to spreading temperature and not liquid.

The Carbquik has a kind of bitter taste but I've gotten use to it now so it does not bother me as much.

I made some more of the Pizza Chips and only cooked them for 10 minutes - much better!!  I think I could eat them every meal.

This weekend I think I'm going to make the Mini Chicken Pot Pies.  I'll post the recipe next week.  I got it from Bariatric Foodie.  I'll probably make some more Cinnamon Rolls. 

What did you cook or eat this week that you would like to share.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 3/9/12 1:14 am, edited 3/9/12 2:41 am - Mills River, NC
I'm impressed. You cook a bunch more than I do.

I did make DS a birthday trifle. I used a SF brownie mix (thought I had bought a SF cake mix but no) made with 1/2c greek yogurt, 1/2c water. The next layer was SF, FF vanilla pudding with 8 oz FF cream cheese made together. The next layer was a can of SF cherry pie filling mixed with a can of drained tart pie cherrys in water. Then all that was layered again. It was good but could have used more flavor, maybe some SF syurp in the pudding mix.

I'm going to try the pizza chips today.

I've also made fish tacos a couple of times lately.

I used whatever white fish I have and saute it until flaky after seasoning with a mild creole seasoning. Then heat a low carb wrap and layer the fish, lettuce, salsa and FF sour cream. You could make a cole slaw for it instead of the lettuce. DD uses cheese with hers also, just like with any meat tacos but I didn't think it needed anything else. Last time I had arugala and it was good with it's spicey bite.

I roasted brussel sprouts last night too. I just trimmed the ends, halfed or quartered depending on how big they were, drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and stuck them in the oven at 350 until they were light brown. They were wonderful and even DH said they were ok.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 3/9/12 1:54 am
Price,

If I don't cook on the weekends, it usually doesn't get done.  I might do something really easy during the week, but not much!  I hate trying to come up with something to eat when I get off work - that is usually when I end up in trouble...

I'm going to try the Birthday trifle.  It sounds good to me.

Thanks for the fish tacos.  I need to eat more fish.  I can never cook it where it taste as good, but this sounds like something I could do.   The last time I was at Wal-Mart I could not find my Low-Carb High Fiber wraps.  I hope they have not stopped carrying them.  I'm having a hard time finding the Hood Calorie Count Down Milk here now too - it has a lot less carbs.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Roz !!!!
on 3/9/12 1:55 am - Butler, PA
We ate at Applebees last weekend and I got Tuscany Bean Soup. It was delicious!

I'm going to try making some.
         Crumbled susage
         White Beans
         Spinach
         Carrots

Any suggestions on what else I could put in it that would be healthy or flavor it? 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 3/9/12 2:28 am - Mills River, NC
I would put onions, celery and garlic in it but I put those in everything.  I use boullion cubes instead of salt when I am making soup to add some flavor to the broth.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 3/9/12 8:11 am - Butler, PA
Thanks for the suggestions!  I was wondering if I should put a boullion cube in. I think I will use a chicken one.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 3/9/12 2:38 am
I was going to say onions, garlic too and maybe some other spices that you like.
I put onions and garlic in everything like Price.

Let us know how it turns out.  I have got to where I like to use the sausage with ground beef to add flavor to things that call for ground beef.

Linda
Stacey N.
on 3/9/12 5:34 am - Chesapeake, VA
The other night I made an amazing sauce that I plan to recreate then can.. I sauteed red pepper,green pepper, onion,mushrooms,sausage with garlic and basil, added it to a tomato sauce that had hamburger in it and let it cook together. Made it into a pasta bake with mozzarella and parmesean. Kids ate seconds and thirds, I ate mine plain.
lerkhart
on 3/10/12 10:05 am
Stacey,
That sounds like something I would love.  I'm going to have to print this out!
Thanks for sharing.
Linda
italianspice
on 3/9/12 9:19 pm - Eastlake, OH
This is what I am making for breakfast today, its a low carb hot cereal. I think its from Laura Dobson an author of a low carb cook book. Loved this when I was doing atkins, my have to cut it in half. I dont think I will be able to eat the whole bowl.
Hot pumpkin flax meal cereal
1/2c ricotta cheese + 2 T of water to thin
1 egg
1/4c pumpkin
pinch of salt
I like to add a dash of cinnamon
1 pack of sweetener
2 T flax meal ( i ground the seeds in my coffee grinder)
I use my small non stick skillet (make for easier cleanup), mix all the ingredients except for the flax, cook over medium heat when the mixture appears to get grainy sprinkle flax and cook for another minute or 2 more until you have a consistency you like.
I like to eat it with a little sugar free syrup.
She suggests serving with nut butters, or probable anything else you would enjoy.

Cant wait to try some of these recipes. Sounds yummy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 317 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views