I'm home from the hospital and on the mend

healthylaurie
on 4/17/12 6:12 am, edited 4/16/12 6:19 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Hi all,
Just thought I'd let you know that I had surgery on Friday and came home on Sunday. I'm definitely starting to feel better. Still slow and sore and using my pain meds, but definitely on the mend.

I had a few little blips at the hospital but not too serious. My surgery took 4 hours instead of the projected 2-3 with the robot because they found a hernia in my diaphram where my stomach was coming out, so they repaired that. Than the last evening and day I was there my blood pressure got really high--like 190/130 at one point. I have to say I don't like the feeling of being able to feel my heart beat hard and fast at my collar bone level. About 11 am typically when most people are going home they decided I was probably retaining fluids and gave me some lacex. By about 2:00 all was back to normal and I was released from the hospital at about 3:30. It was Sunday, so the hospital pharmacy and my local pharmacy were closed. We had to go to 5 pharmacies to find the liquid pain med That was a pain, especially for my DH, as I was mostly out of it in the car. Such is life!

I did really good with my fluids yesterday and got about 50 grams of protein in, so am doing good. None of my protein shakes seem that appealing at this point, so I've been doing greek yogurt smoothies, some unjury ckn broth protein pwdr and some homemade ckn broth with uflavored unjury proteinpwdr I made yesterday. The homemade ckn broth is the best so far, but not for everything. It's definitely true that things don't taste the same as before surgery!

Is it too soon to try the egg custards or pudding?
Laurie     Height:  5'10" HW 281, Consult 276, SW 269.9, CW 238.7      
Mo1: - 22.2 Mo2:                                      
dasie
on 4/17/12 6:24 am
I was on clear liquids in the hospital then full liquids for a couple weeks with no solids whatsoever.  I cannot remember if those foods you mentioned were on my plan...it has been a while.  I guess they were.  I, like many was lactose intolerant for a period of time.  Watch out for that too with the pudding and custard. 

What does your plan say?  I guess the closest I came to that type of food was strained, watered-down creme of mushroom soup.  Go very slowly.  I or 2  bites and you will be full.  I had a hard time knowing when I was full.  A few bites, and I felt nothing...then without warning...BAM.  It was a learning experience.  By eating very, very slowly that full feeling will not happen before it is too late. 

healthylaurie
on 4/17/12 8:33 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks Dasie! 
LinR
on 4/17/12 6:53 am
My tastebuds were a little weird right after surgery.  I only use the unjury.  I found I was lactose intolerant so needed to mix my chocolate unjury in lactaid.  I also found it tasted better luke warm. 

Hope things go well for you now that you're home.

healthylaurie
on 4/17/12 8:33 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks Lin!
Thenewme55
on 4/17/12 8:02 am - WA
VSG on 01/12/12
Hi Laurie,
I'm so glad you are home and all is well! Take the meds as you need them...no need to be a hero. Also, remember - you did just have major surgery so take it easy.... you will get tired pretty quickly.

For me I stayed on the straight and narrow with my intake and didn't have anything that wasn't on the approved list. Thank goodness I never had a problem at all....of course some of it didn't taste that great but I figured I could tolerate anything for a short time. I had 2 best friends...SF Popsicles and SF Jello.  There are some recipes for mixing unflavored PP to Jello on the Unjury site.

We are making room for you on the loosers bench! Hang in there and I can't wait to see you at the next support group meeting!!

HT 5'1"~HW 224~SW 212~GW 124    VSG 1/12/12
-8 lbs pre-op Month 1 -30 lbs, M2 -8, M3 -9, M4 -6.5, M5 -6.5, M6 -6, M7 -3, M8 -4, M9 -6, M10 -6, M11 -2 , M12 -                                                                                                 "You must start with a positive attitude or you will surely end without one."

healthylaurie
on 4/17/12 8:40 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks Gwen!  I just went and looked, yes, pudding and custard are in the next stage!  Okay I'll wait! 

The premade SF Jello and SF Popsicles taste kinda weird to me.  I think I'll go look up the ones on the unjury site and make some right now! 

I have already started losing!  Do I have to do something to make my tracker synch with my signature?

Can't wait to see you too!

MajorMom
on 4/17/12 8:38 am - VA
Sounds like you're doing great. Take it slow and easy, and make fluids your number 1 priority. Welcome home!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

healthylaurie
on 4/17/12 8:41 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks Gina!
Price S.
on 4/17/12 9:26 am - Mills River, NC
I do believe in following your plan.  I was so ready for each phase change but stuck to it and had no issues at all.  It pays to be good (although I am in no way implying that those who have problems didn't follow their plan) because if you do have issues, you can be straight with your Dr.  All phases are really short in the grand scheme of things and your Dr has a reason for why he has you do what you do.

It sounds like you are doing great.  Sip, walk, rest, repeat.  You will be feeling better in no time.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 305 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 493 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 511 views