Newbie light weight surgery scheduled for this Friday

Ctgal5
on 5/7/12 11:58 am - GA
 Hi, I'm so excited to have found this group.  I have been approved for surgery and I have already been warned that I may be to light. Here are my stats: 5'4 3/4" tall current weight 208 and my only co morbidity is high blood pressure.

My Dr office staff said to try to gain some weight before my pre- op on Thursday. They said if my BMI was not 35 on the day is surgery I would be denied. Does anyone here have similar stats?

Thank you in advance for your information. 
Tonya499
on 5/7/12 7:47 pm - Riverton, UT
 I don't understand.  If you have already been approved for surgery, why would they deny you the day before?  If that's true that you need to have a BMI of 35 on Thursday, then you better start hitting the all the you can eat buffet.  Go with the salty foods.  It will help you retain water. And wear heavy flat shoes.
Good luck!

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
MajorMom
on 5/7/12 8:00 pm - VA
Welcome aboard and good luck on Friday.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 5/7/12 8:52 pm
hello and congrats.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

Eliza55
on 5/7/12 9:08 pm - PA
I had to be BMI of 35 at my last pre-op visit, after a 3 month diet.   My insurance would not have approved with only high blood pressure as a co-morbidity, so you've got great coverage to get approved.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Price S.
on 5/7/12 9:30 pm - Mills River, NC
At my office, approval was based on the initial weight, not after the 6 month diet.  I didn't have a problem because I was heavier and had more co-morbidities but they didn't care how much I weighed that day, just the initial visit.

Have a textbook surgery and a boring recovery. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ctgal5
on 5/7/12 10:48 pm - GA
Thank you for the welcome

My Dr's office was surprise that my insurance approved it the same day it was submitted, and that is my thing, if the insurance okays the surgery how can the hospital say no on the day of if you are not a BMI of 35?

I am hovering today made it to 210 and Thursday is my pre-op soI guess I will just have to wait and see.

I am having it done open, so  I am a little nervous about how long to recover and be back up and running.

Thank you all
MacMadame
on 5/21/12 3:27 pm - Northern, CA
All insurances are different. There are definitely people on this board over the years who got denied for losing too much weight during the pre-op diet. It's not the most common thing (most take your weight at your initial appointment), but it does happen.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lerkhart
on 5/7/12 11:13 pm
Welcome to the LW Board.

Who is doing your surgery and what kind are you having?  I see you are in GA, so am I.

Does your surgeon require any pre-op diet or liquids the day before surgery?  If so, I would follow what they tell you to do.  I would go with heavier clothes(jeans) and weigh with heavier shoes on. 
Wishing you a great surgery and speedy recovery!!

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Ctgal5
on 5/8/12 11:01 am - GA
 Dr Donald Maynard is doing my surgery and it will be open.  I have my pre-op on Thursday at 9:00 so I will find out if I need to do just liquids, I'm guessing no as they would have told me before then. My hospital pre-op is Thursday afternoon so I'm guessing they will give me my final instructions. 

Luckily I ate a ton on carbs yesterday and I weighed 210lbs this am 1 more day to bulk up hoping to make 212 for surgery pre- op weigh in. 

Thank you for the well wishes, I am nervous and excited. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 489 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views