having rny in july

possummeatfreak
on 5/10/12 10:51 am - chapel hill, NC
Huh. That rhymed. So, I'm feeling pretty good about things at this point but I figure I should ask about a couple things and say hello.

1st - How much help will I need? I've had 4 knee surgeries so I'm pretty good with pain, but I'm a wimp with nausea. Should I stay with my sister for a while or go back to my apartment where I just live with my dog? Sister lives in town and could come by to check on me if needed.

2nd - What were the most helpful/comforting things for you in the first days after surgery? 
Price S.
on 5/10/12 11:36 am - Mills River, NC
I never had any nausea.  I would have been fine by myself but my sister did come for a couple of days, mainly to take care of DH.  Will your dog need to be walked?  Walking is good for you but you might not want to do a lot at one time in the beginning.  If your dog is very energetic, you may need help.

I slept in the recliner for a couple of nights and when I did move into the bed, it was with lots of pillows. 

Warm or room temp drinks were better than cold.

My body temp was all over everywhere.  I was hot, then cold, then hot.  Dress in layers so you can peel and add as needed.

Sip, walk, rest.  Repeat.

De-caf and de-carb before your date.  Stop drinking with meals.  that will help you after surgery.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 5/10/12 11:46 am - PA
I was home at an empty house, and that was fine for me - I had RNY and  a repair of a paraesophageal hernia, done laproscopically using a DaVinci robot.  I didn't take anything stronger than Tylenol after I got home, which was the afternoon following my surgery.

My recommendation for the first days after surgery are rest, sip, walk and repeat.  Also don't purchase a bunch of protein shakes etc for use after your surgery.  I became lactose intolerant instantly, and was left with a bunch of stuff I couldn't use.  Your tastes may change etc, so get a little bit, but focus on small sample sizes.

I did need a pill crusher to take some of my medications right after surgery.  I still use a pill splitter for some.

Good Luck!!! 
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

possummeatfreak
on 5/10/12 12:03 pm - chapel hill, NC
Hadn't thought about the pill crusher. Good call! So, sound like I might be fine if I plan on taking it really easy and slow. The dog is really old but she forgets some times and pulls on the leash. So maybe I can get my sister to come walk her a couple times a day.

Do many people become lactose intolerent? I know tastes change, but I love dairy!
MacMadame
on 5/10/12 12:43 pm - Northern, CA
I think it's good to have someone around for the first 24 hours you are home. Even if you bounce right back and end up not needing them, it's better to have them around in case something bad happens.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MajorMom
on 5/10/12 7:23 pm - VA
Hello! I'm from Chapel Hill too. Well, I was. My parents moved there in 1960 and I left for college in 1973. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dasie
on 5/10/12 11:25 pm
I graduated in 1973 too. 

paranoidmother21
on 5/11/12 11:13 am - Lake Zurich, IL
And me 3.  Should we have a high school reunion? LOL!

Who else??
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

dasie
on 5/11/12 7:21 pm
Nice to know there are others who stay around here that are the same age....

lerkhart
on 5/11/12 3:23 am
Hi and welcome to the LW Board.

I'll add to take some chapstick to the hospital with you.  I really needed it, my lips got so dry.  Take some very loose fitting clothes to wear home.  I wore the same ones to the hospital so I didn't take a lot of things with me.

I have always had nausea when I am put to sleep.  I told my surgeon this and he gave me a shot before surgery and after and I never had that feeling at all.

I would have been fine by myself when we got home, but my husband is retired and I had surgery where my parents live so we were staying with them.  I did not have to take any pain meds.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 488 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 508 views