taste changes and lactose intolerance

possummeatfreak
on 5/11/12 1:55 pm - chapel hill, NC
So I've heard both of these issues mentioned a lot on these forums. Just wondering about how specifically everybody's tastes have changed. Do a lot of you have issues with milk products now? I was really counting on skim milk to be a protein source and base for shakes. I hope I can still tolerate it!
healthylaurie
on 5/11/12 2:26 pm, edited 5/11/12 2:27 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
I had surgery about a month ago and I'm relieved to report I'm not lactose intolerant!  For a week or two after surgery I felt like I had a kind of bad/sour taste in my mouth and a bit of a sour stomach.  Nothing tasted very good, and the vitamins that I had sampled prior to surgery that I thought were going to be okay were disgusting!  For the next two weeks I had to take a bunch of medicine that also left a continual bad/sour taste in my mouth and especially made it so I didn't want to drink much fluid because it didn't taste very good.  Thankfully, I stopped taking the meds yesterday and the taste is gone from my mouth and I have just a bit of a sour stomach.   From what I understand this is something that really varies by person.  Hope that helps!
Laurie     Height:  5'10" HW 281, Consult 276, SW 269.9, CW 238.7      
Mo1: - 22.2 Mo2:                                      
dasie
on 5/11/12 7:53 pm
You might have not issues.  I was lactose intolerant for a period.  Even today, ice cream makes me sick to my stomach.  I don't believe it is the sugar because I do not dump...unless it is the processing and combination of the milk and sugar. 

Tastes changing is a different story.  I was a huge egg eater.  I could not stand thm until not too recently.  I am 30 months out.  I can eat them boiled, but that is about the only way I care for them.  Early out though, it was amazing how many foods no longer appealed to me...old favorites. I love hot and spicy.  Post op, for some strange reason, my food has to be extremely hot and spicy for me to consider it so.  That still remains with me.  My family has always eaten very hot spicy foods.  We grow peppers.  But what I now cnsider "hot" they cannot eat. 

southernlady5464
on 5/11/12 10:05 pm
My tastes didn't change much at all...what I enjoyed as far as taste pre-op is the same now.

However, while in the hospital, they would give me skim milk (which I dispise) and had no issues. First day home, made a protein shake with whole milk which I adore and wa**** with the worse gas attack I had ever had. Thnaks to lactaid pills and using lactaid free whole milk, I can use whole milk...never had an issue with cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, any OTHER milk based product...but reg drinking milk was a no go. I can handle some now and have not taken the lactaid pills in about 6 months now but I suspect the lactose intolerance to whole milk is here to stay.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

possummeatfreak
on 5/12/12 12:15 am - chapel hill, NC
I like your cat! That makes me feel better about the milk.
southernlady5464
on 5/12/12 12:55 am, edited 5/12/12 12:55 am
LOL, I like my cat too...except in the middle of the night when TWELVE lbs of cat is sitting on my kidneys!

Glad I made you feel better.

What I would do POST-OP is very carefully try the milk...being prepared for the gas/bloating. Do not try anything else new that day.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 5/12/12 9:27 am
I have had no problems with milk.  I usually use Hood Calorie Countdown Milk which has a lot less carbs than regular milk.  I drank skim right after surgery and mixed dry milk with it for double protein and had no problems.

I now like food spicer than I did before surgery.  I eat a lot different types of food than I did but I think that is because I try more foods now than I did before and I cook a lot more.

I think it is just a luck thing - some have problems and some don't - no way of knowing before your surgery.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
possummeatfreak
on 5/12/12 9:34 am - chapel hill, NC
I was wondering about the adding dry milk for extra protein thing. Does it have much taste?
lerkhart
on 5/12/12 10:10 am
I actually put it in Diet Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate and drank it like that.  I was so cold after surgery even though it was August.  It helped to warm me up some.

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MacMadame
on 5/12/12 2:06 pm - Northern, CA
During the early days my senses were heightened and so a lot of foods were too _____ . Too salty, too sweet. Too smelly. LOL

I also was really off sweet stuff for a while. It didn't last but for a while I just wasn't drawn to sweets at all.

As for lactose intolerance, I definitely have it. I get reactions if I drink more than about 2 oz. of milk or eat more than 1/2 c. of ice cream and sometimes my protein bars also give me cramps.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 489 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views