Raised liver enzymes= Gallbladder removal

Kiminey65
on 5/12/12 7:33 am
RNY on 10/25/10 with
Hello everyone. I raised a topic quite a few months ago regarding my eleated liver enzymes. I decided to give the newest update in case it will help someone else who experiences this...

I had normal liver enzyme levels pre-op, and a HIDA scan before my RNY surgery read that my gallbladder function was at 58%. Apparently under 35% is considered diseased. Therefore I was not a candidate to have it removed at that time. My levels began to elevate pretty much immediately. The surgeons kept their eye on it and I let my pcp know, so she did too. Well, in March as my 18 month follow up was nearing, she decided to send me for an ultrasound, and sure enough I was full of small stones. I was asked to consult with a surgeon, and chose to go back to my bariatric group.

They're pretty quick movers, and before I even went to my pre-op consult, I received my cholestectomy date, which was a week following the consult. So, on April 26, I had that darn gallbladder removed. The good news is, it was laparoscopically, and no ill side effects. While they were in there, they endoscoped me to check for "pockets" and ulcers. I was free from both, so it was documented for future reference, and I spent one day in hospital, and have healed quite quickly.

Dr. Baranov did ask me which surgery was more painful, and honestly, I said the gallbladder removal was! But another footnote to that is, for me, recovery was quite quick with this go-round. Just my personal story, but it may help someone else who experiences this....  Also, my doctor feels confident that my liver enzymes will lower now. Guess we will see

MajorMom
on 5/12/12 8:42 am - VA
I 'm glad you're home and doing well. That's very interesting about the liver enzymes and I'm interested to follow you on your next labs to see if the AST and ALT come down.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 5/12/12 9:46 am
Glad you are doing good recovering from your surgery.  I had mine removed open and it was a much harder recovery than RNY.

My liver enzymes were up after RNY also even though I didn't have a gall bladder.  Hope yours come down and stay down.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 5/12/12 1:31 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I had my gallbladder removed in 1992, and it was a walk in the park compared to my RNY.  Mine was lap also and I could have gone back to work in 2 days... I thought anyway.. Dr didn't think so and made me take 2 weeks off.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

dasie
on 5/12/12 7:42 pm
...good info, glad you are feeling well.

Kiminey65
on 5/12/12 11:03 pm
RNY on 10/25/10 with
I had my surgery on a Thursday. Originally planned to go back on the Monday following, but my business partner insisted I take another day, and cleared my schedule, which I booked as a partial day of 4 hours. My clients are amazing women and had no problems with it. Although I would have been able to handle that, it was nice to have one extra day. My inside bruising/tenderness improved each day, so I do think 2 weeks is optimal to those of you *****ceive a disability paycheck.

It sure will be interesting to see if my liver levels go back down.... I will post in October when I have them drawn (My 2 year post-op). I have said all along, or at least shortly after my RNY that my gallbladder was "unhappy". I always knew it wasn'r working up to par.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views