GRD

seaview
on 5/17/12 10:24 am
 So I bring this up because it's an issue and has been bothering me for at least a year.
I had to stop taking my PPI ( which is prilosec) for acid stomach. It had contraindications with my anti depressant ..believe it or not..can cause heart damage...go figure and I did not know why I was exhausted all the time...so in the meantime for the past year I had bad acid....it burns when I eat certain things...I can actually throw up stuff if it's too spicy...it burns so much...in the morning I wake up with the feeling that I had throw up in my mouth..and my aesophagus....I have a sleeve  by the way...I take acid reducer and eat antacids but it helps momentarily...I am going to discuss this with my surgeon as I did have a hyatal hernia fixed during my sleeve surgery but also showed some irritation in my aesophagus...I think I need another endoscopy to check out down there...what do you guys think? Have you heard of this...as I said PPI's are great but I cannot take them...so just sayin" would love to hear some feedback and if any of you have had this experience...thanks..SEAVIEW
it's really my only side effect from the surgery long term... 
Price S.
on 5/17/12 10:36 am - Mills River, NC
Wow.  I know when I went off my prilosec for a couple of weeks, I got a really sore tummy.  It was fixed within a day or two of starting them again.  Is it all acid reducers?  Is it all anti-depressants?  I know if your anti depressant is working, you don't want to mess around with it but GERD can cause some real problems other than discomfort.
One thing you can try for night is elevating your head.  Get one of those wedge things that will raise your head up 6" or so.  It may take some getting use to but it does help the throat and keeps the acid where it needs to be.  Have you looked on line for natural helpers, maybe something you could eat or drink that would help?  I know before I finally went and got more prolosec, I was eating tums like candy and it was doing nothing.
Hope you find something that will make you more comfortable.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

loverofcats
on 5/17/12 1:14 pm
Talk to your PCP re: an antacid that doesn't interfere with your anti-depressant. Tums never did anything for me. Acid can be very serious and you don't want it to go on indefinitely. Is there another PPI that may not interact with your antidepressant? Protonix can be good.

I sleep with a wedge pillow and take a PPI daily. Major Mom has suggested a little lemon in water, which has an alkalizing effect in the stomach. From the sound of the your symptoms, you need some serious help, pronto. Your esophagus will be irritated from the acid refluxing out of your stomach. An upper GI may be helpful.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Eliza55
on 5/17/12 1:57 pm - PA

I have struggled with reflux for years.  When I had my RNY, the doc also performed another procedure called a Fundoplication to help with the reflux.  It helped until the last couple of weeks, so I will discuss this at my appt in a couple of weeks.

Untreated reflux can be very serious, so make sure you follow-up with your doc.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

seaview
on 5/17/12 2:26 pm
 Thanks so much I will see a doctor for this ASAP......your feedback is always helpful...
SEAVIEW
southernlady5464
on 5/17/12 10:19 pm
Seaview...not only can reflux be serious, it can cause esophageal cancer. You and your doctor need to find a PPI that does not interfere with your antidepressant. I hope you do.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

seaview
on 5/18/12 12:40 am
 Yeah I know about the cancer thing...Barrett's etc...I am going to get on this this week. Thankfully it's only been a year or so...SEAVIEW
Dee08
on 5/18/12 1:30 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
Seaview....don't mean to high jack.  I have been on Nexium 40 mg twice a day for over 15 years.  It is the only thing that helps my GERD.  Lately I have been reading about the bad side effects of being on Nexium for an extended time.  I am trying to find an alternative.  I read on Dr. C's page that he does GERD surgery.  Have you spoken to him about it?  I like to know what he might suggest for the GERD.  If you do, would you please post or pm me on what he thinks?

Thanks....Dee
seaview
on 5/18/12 1:33 am
 I am going to see him soon...I will ask him first before I see another doctor...I will let you guys know.
My problem is that PPI's have a very bad interaction with Celexa which is the antidepressant I have been on for years...so any PPI is bad for me ...I am not going to change my antidepressant..in any case I will let you all know...SEAVIEW
sam1am
on 5/18/12 11:14 pm
I will be very interested as well, as I am on two Nexium a day and am concerned that it is interfering with the absorption of antibiotics I am currently taking.  After 6 days, still no change and still a mild fever.

Best wishes!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 416 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 477 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views