Confused about surgery

terithecook
on 5/25/12 7:57 am - NY
I was told no pre-diet (just two days of liquid prior to surgery) but 3 months medically supervised diet with the nutritionist. I guess that's when I'll find out if its Optifast or what I will be doing. That appointment is 6/8. 

Thanks everyone.  ((hugs)) to you all!
lerkhart
on 5/25/12 8:55 am
Teri,
I cook all the time.  I hardly ever eat out anymore.  I eat things now I never dreamed I would like.  I love finding new recipes and trying them out.  WLS is not going to stop you from cooking or eating it, just your volume will probably be a lot less and you do have to try and control the carbs/sweets, but mine is mostly head hunger not real stomach hunger.
I would lose and gain and as I aged, each time I tried I lost less and less like you.  It is a personal decision. 
I still do Thanksgiving, Mothers Day, Fathers Day at my house for our families.  I decorate birthday cakes for my granddaughters.

I read everything I could find and went to two different surgeons for consultations.  Both recommended RNY for me since I had Type 2 Diabetes.  My insurance would not pay for sleeve.  I'm very happy with my choice and it has worked for me.  Read everything you can find and let it be your decision along with your surgeon.  It is major surgery and I think it really scares some people especially if they don't really understand it.
Good luck.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
downsize54
on 5/25/12 9:54 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12
 A bit confused. I thought the malabsorption of the DS lasted for lifetime of procedure, esp fat malabsorption. Do you then start absorbing more vitamins as well? Why does this change? 
paranoidmother21
on 5/25/12 1:34 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Downsize,  vitamin malabsorption for the DS and RNY is for life because the portion of the intestines where those nutrients are absorbed is no longer used.

Calorie absorption returns, my understanding for both surgeries, but less return and later for the DS than the RNY.  This happens because the intestines grow new vilii to absorb calories over time.

I too have heard that the DS fat malabsorption is forever.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Caitlyn_Cat
on 5/25/12 10:23 am
I've had a VSG for over a year now and I'm very pleased with how it has worked out so far.  At this point I'm in maintenance and can eat just about what I want, so it is up to me to make good choices. I eat protein first, then veggies and then fruit.  White carbs are very, very rare, but surprisingly, I find I do not miss them all that much anymore.  I'm actually eating much higher quality food these days, just very small portions of it because I fill up quickly.  

I'm not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a better one since surgery since I now experiment with spices and new cooking techniques to bring flavor to a meal that does not rely on fat for richness.  Still, I do splurge on the rare occassion and every couple of months will have a sweet treat at a birthday party or on vacation.  Dumping is very rare with a VSG, which is a plus or a minus, depending on how you look at it. 

Has a VSG changed my life?  Absolutely, and all for the better.  Being 100 lbs overweight was way more of a risk than the procedure.  I am more aware of what I eat, but in a very good way.  Living on Optifast as a life choice wouldn't seem possible to me for the long haul.  Not enough variety.  I was on Optifast for 3-4 weeks before my surgery, and that was quite enough of that.  I still use protein shakes for the nutrients, or as a quick, healthy meal substitute, but the idea of living on them?  No.  

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
terithecook
on 5/25/12 9:57 pm - NY
 Thanks. What about vitamins?  Do you have to take as any as the RNY and DS patients need to?

My weight height is close to yours too. Id be thrilled to be 135!
Caitlyn_Cat
on 5/26/12 5:03 am
I do take vitamins, but not as many as the RNY/DS folks since I have no malabsorption.  I take a good multivitamin daily, sublingual vitamin B12 weekly, and calcium with vitamin D daily.  My numbers at the one year mark were all spot on. 

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
terithecook
on 5/26/12 11:18 am - NY
 Why sublingual b12 and not regular?

I know you're probably rolling your eyes just have no clue. 

Thanks!
KathyA999
on 5/26/12 1:16 pm
B12 is absorbed in the small intestine, after it has bound with Intrinsic Factor, a kind of protein produced in the stomach.  Most of our ability to produce Intrinsic Factor is removed along with the stomach, so we can take B12 orally but we won't be able to make use of it.  Taken sublingually, it doesn't need Intrinsic Factor, instead it's absorbed directly into the bloodstream via sublingual tissue.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Sandra C.
on 5/26/12 5:37 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Terri,
My husband and I love to cook together. My having the D.S. hasnt stoped us from making all kinds of tasty meat dishes. I make soups and chilli, freeze in single servings. we have 3 freezers full because I cook more than we can eat. My appetite has changed and my ability to eat large meals has been traded for a lean body. I'm at 126 today, so happy with my decision to have the D.S. Everyone has second thoughts about the stage you are at. The final stretch of appointments bring the reality of irreversable surgery to the forefront of our protective centers of our brains just the same  as instinctively pulling our hands away from a fire to save ourselves. Your feelings are normal to search for a way out through other more comfortable diet plans.

I believe each of us has searched deep within ourselves to understand why we need such ultimate restrictions preventing us from using  typical diets causing us to gain weight over and over again. For me, it was a need to be thin to prevent future cancer. I have the cancer genes on both sides of my family. I was advised to be thin by my gynecologic  oncologist, after my cancer was removed along with a complete hysterectomy.(complete cure) Four months later I had the D.S. I chose it to be sure my weight loss would be as perminent as possible.

Another factor in my choice was my insurance company- BCBS of Mi's policy of one WLS in a lifetime. I would have had the VSG otherwise, and the rest of the D.S. later if I needed it. now I am very glad to have a virgin D.S. because it works better as a primary surgery for maximum weight loss, with the least chance of regain. Other than the 120g protein requirement and a few extra vitamins, and 64 min oz fluid, the VSG feels just the same as a D.S. stomach. The size restriction is the same, and small frequent meals too. I think everyone should look into the D.S. so they wont need a revision later to reach their goal weight. I couldnt afford to pay out of pocket for a revision. I couldnt live my life the way I wanted to with any other surgery but the D.S. I can eat a choice of foods most like a healthy version of what I was eating all my life, with less carbs, not no carbs. 
My vitamins: 3 multi vitamin capsuls, iron, calcium, B-12 sublingual, AquADEK pill. Thats all for now, been at this level since surgery, for 9 months. Looks like I absorb very well, as some do need more supplements. My labs are spot on. Exercise consists of walking several times a week, a program everyone should follow, surgery or not. All of our goals are to become more healthy, to prevent disease, and heart health for the rest of our lives.

PM me if you want to ask more details about my surgery, I am happy to help. Good luck with your journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views