Confused about surgery

terithecook
on 5/28/12 4:16 am - NY
 Thanks for your response, Sandra. Surgeon said no DS because I didn't have enough weight to lose. I was going between the DS and VS so no decision for me. 
Sandra C.
on 5/28/12 7:06 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Who is your surgeon, and how tall are you? I like the idea of the VSG, but the D.S. has a better track record with most chance of getting to goal, and least chance of regain. These 2 reasons are important to me. So many on the various boards with the VSG are now adding the D.S. to get to goal, and not gain the weight back. Read lots of boards, and research before you decide on anything. Some surgeons have been known to push their patients into the surgeries they do. Some have said they do the D.S., but dont, and say the D.S. is not right for you. Of course you can chose the surgery you want, my surgeon offered all of them to me to chose from. He does a great D.S., and is nationally known for his expertise. I'm 5'3", my goal was 125. I'm there now because of the D.S. in 8 months. Everyone has a different journey. A lot of points made in these posts are read by many deciding on surgeries. Its good to present them all for everyone to read. Major Mom had about as much weight to lose as you. Her D.S. is working for her, she is a Lightweight. The D.S. is often done for lightweights, but their common channel is made longer for more absorbtion of nutrients. My surgeon said he would have made mine 120 cm if I had weighed less, mine is 100cm, and if heavier it would be shorter.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

terithecook
on 5/28/12 9:56 am - NY
My surgeon is well known.  He's Alfons Pomp, head of Bariatrics at NY Presbyterian.  I know I'm in excellent hands.  I'm 5'3 too but my goal would be 135.  He assured me that the sleeve would be best because of my eating style and weight.  I'm confident in him, so it's not an issue.  The only issue I have is Nsaids and the ability to have sweets on occaision. 
Sandra C.
on 5/28/12 10:56 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 The D.S. can have Nsaids, and sweets, cant the VSG?

Duodenal Switch- lap

paranoidmother21
on 5/29/12 12:32 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Sandra, my surgeon does VSG (and occasional band, lots of RNY, although not DS), and is now recommending that VSG patients and even bandsters not do nsaids unless there is no other pain option because of the long scar line that can still be eroded by nsaids.

Sweets - well, their office just discourages too many of those on general principles as that's what got a lot of us in trouble in the first place.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Sandra C.
on 5/29/12 1:12 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I just asked my surgeon last week about Nsaids and the suture line.  Since its all healed He said its OK  to take the one a day Nsaid kind. His PA also suggested Celebrex, as the least likely to do damage. Celebrex is not covered by my insurance, and is a bit steep. I really dont need any Nsaids as long as I stretch and keep my joints moving with exercise. The major WL I have had has all but eliminated my arthritic hip and knee pain.

Duodenal Switch- lap

paranoidmother21
on 5/29/12 6:30 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Different surgeons, different protocols I guess.

I know - with the weight loss and movement, my arthritis has pretty much stopped hurting, although i know the actual damage remains.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

rbb825
on 5/28/12 6:04 pm - Suffern, NY
Dr Pomps is still at Columbia Presbyterian??  Are there 2 bariatric groups there??  I used Dr Marc Bessler who I thought was the head of Bariatrics??  I know Pomps used to be part of Besslers group and left but I thought he left the hospital?

rbb825
on 5/28/12 6:09 pm, edited 5/28/12 6:44 pm - Suffern, NY
Now I see the difference - I am used to NY Presbyterian being Columbia Presbyterian but now there are 2 hospitals as part of NY Presbyterian - your surgeon Dr Alfred Pomp is head of Bariatrics at NY Cornell and my surgeon Dr Marc Bessler is head of bariatrics at Columbia Presbyterian - it is very confusing to people now that the 2 hospitals merged.

can I ask why only considering sleeve? what about RNY??

terithecook
on 5/28/12 7:45 pm - NY
 Actually the name was New York Hospital - Weill Cornell was its own hospital (my brother was born there Almost 48 years ago.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views