Weekly Maintenance Thread

lerkhart
on 7/8/12 12:17 pm
Hope everyone has had a great week!!

Are you still following your surgeon's program or have you found that some differences work better for you?

What were your victories and struggles this week?

My surgeon's program does not want you to do protein shakes.  I do 3-4 a day still.  I have found that they really help keep me on track.  The reason the NUT gave me is that they are added calories.  My protein only has 90 calories and no carbs.  I think if I didn't have my protein shakes I would have a lot more than 90 calories of something  because I am a bored/stress eater.  I like the freedom that protein shakes allow me to have because I love to eat salads.  By doing the protein shakes, I know that my protein amounts are good for the day.

Victories - I finished the Peachtree Road Race with a time of 1 hour 15 minutes and 22 seconds - this was 15 minutes faster than last year!!

Struggles - Since the race Wednesday I have not done any exercise.  I have eaten way off my  program since Friday night.  Back on track as of right now going back to work tomorrow will help alot.  All the junk is now out of my house.

Whose next???

Linda 
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
paranoidmother21
on 7/8/12 1:53 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Crazy busy week!

I'm still on most of my surgeon's program... tweaked for me.  They typically suggest no protein shakes, and 60-80 grams per day after the first six months.  I am, with their knowledge and approval, doing 2 shakes a day and 100-125 grams per day.  They also suggest 3 meals only, and I do 3 meals, one snack, and one shake alone, so 5 times eating.  I don't think they're particularly happy with this regime, but they're not going to argue with success, and while I'm open at support group about it working for me, I also don't tell others to disregard their advice.

Victories and struggles -

Victory: I ran a 5K with an average 14:40 minute mile.  Yes, that's slow, but it's almost a minute faster than I usually go per mile.  I then ran (slower yet) another 2 1/2 miles, for a total of 5 1/2 miles with an overall average of about 16:30.  I also got better at some of my skating maneuvers, which is a real struggle for scaredy cat me!

Struggles: late nights 4 of the last 7, and I mean like getting to bed at 1 am and having to get up at 6.  It sucked, but because of the heat and previously made committments, I wound up having to drive back from the lake late at night rather than sleeping on the boat as we had planned (airless corner marina, no AC in the boat = no sleep anyway).  Since I'm the non-drinker, I'm the DD and since I do better on less sleep than DH, well, it was all me.  I hate those nights, because the next day I feel hung-over and crave junk and hate water, all the things that goof me up.

Next week we're on vacation, leaving in the morning, and I've already had "the talk" with DH that I WILL be running/walking every morning and/or evening, and that there will NOT be discussion about "oh no, come on to the party central and hang with us."  I need that activity level unless it's too hot to do safely, and his "social conscience" does not get to derail me.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

lerkhart
on 7/8/12 11:15 pm
Hope you have a great vacation this week!!  I told DH this morning I was going to try and start back running today if it is not over 100 degrees.

Way to go on the 5K. A minute a mile is a great decrease in time.  Races always help me with my time, I guess it is the adrelanine(?)..

I could not stay up that late if I wanted to.  I was up until 11pm last night and could hardly drag out of the bed this morning!!

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
southernlady5464
on 7/9/12 2:25 am
Are you still following your surgeon's program or have you found that some differences work better for you?

LOL, if I followed their plan I would be vitamin deficient, and constipated as all get out! The biggest problem is they have their own vitamins (read that as an MLM scheme) they want you to use...I follow Vitalady's plan. As far as diet, they tell me to not get more than 60 grams of protein (I aim for 100 or more) and go low/no fat...they don't think about the need DS'ers have for high fat foods to stay regular.

What were your victories and struggles this week?

Victory...getting my system moving again but had to drop my calcium temporarily and add a stool softner and extra fiber pills to manage that.

Struggle...EXERCISE...it's just too hot.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 7/9/12 11:09 am
I think we all have to find our own way and what works best for us to be able to maintain our new lifestyles.

I have not really done the low/no fat either and I still have problems.  I do two stool softners and Miralax every day.

I agree it is too hot to exercise right now.

Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views