Weekly Maintenance Post

lerkhart
on 7/15/12 4:56 am

Hope you all had a great week. 

How about if we share something that you think helps to keep you successful?

What struggles did you have this week?

What victories did you have?

Here's mine:

I had RNY so I think one of the keys to staying successful with that surgery is not drinking with your meals.  So far I have not had any problems with that and have been able to wait 45 minutes to 1 hour before I start drinking. 

Struggles for the week - Carbs - it seems like if I have a bad carb it just goes downhill from there for the rest of the day.  I've had issues with night time snacking again this week and then not coming back on here and updating my menus....

Victories - no bad carbs yesterday and no night time snacking.  I also ran/walked again yesterday for the first time in a week and a half.  I know how important exercise is for me.  It makes me feel so much better and I really enjoy it, but I sure can make a million excuses not to do it.

Hope everyone has a great week this next week.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 7/15/12 6:46 am - Mills River, NC
Something that makes me successful,  no alcohol.  I am not morally against it, I just know I don't need the calories and it would not help me when making choices.  Everyone was drinking this week while I was camping.  Not gettting drunk or anything, just a glass or 2 of wine before dinner or a drink.  I was tempted but didn't bring anything with me and didn't want to ask anyone to share theirs. 

Struggles: rain and no exercise.  Well, I did pack, unpack, pack and unpack and drive everyday but that doesn't hardly count.  I would have walked some but it was hard to be motivated when it was raining everyday.  Carbs, yes, not many but there was some kind of bread every meal and desert.  I had some but did pretty good overall.

Victories: Went to Zumba today and am making an appointment with the personal trainer to get a program started for where I am now to get me to the next level.  I gained some # while I was gone but came home and got right back on track. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 7/15/12 7:37 am
I knew when I had the surgery I could never touch alcohol again, not that I drank that much prior to surgery, but my grandfather was an alcoholic and I have the compulsive tendancies and did not want to trade a food addiction for an alcohol addiction.

It is hard to get exercise with the crazy weather we have been having lately.  I'm sure you were busy most of the time so you atleast got in some exercise.

Yeah for Zumba!!  I haven't been in a while since I started running.  It is great that you have an appointment with a personal trainer.  Good luck with that.  I think I need to get to the gym and do some weights and other things.  They have a lunch group that does different things each day and I have thought about joining them.

Way to go - getting right back on track!!  I think staying here on line really helps us get right back on track.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 7/15/12 7:40 am - VA
Successful?  Protein shakes and pushing back from the table when I don't have to but need to.  I'm hoping I've kept my sleeve smaller than I would have eating dense food every meal.

Struggles?  Last week I got into more salted peanuts than I should have. This week I've already divided the peanuts into single servings after I poured them into a colander to get some of the extra salt off. We also ran out of Greek yogurt and I tried to make do with regular. Blech!

Victories?  I didn't over do it at the potluck? Not sure that's totally true but close. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 7/15/12 8:47 am
I definently agree with the protein shakes - they have been a lifesaver for me!!

I know about peanuts, I had to stop buying them because I had no control.  I know they are not the worse thing, but I could eat a lot of them.  Single servings that's a great idea.

Any good ideas from the potluck.  The meatballs I made w/ spaghetti squash and marinara are delicious, going to be my meals for the week.  DH likes it also so he is helping me eat it.

Linda
southernlady5464
on 7/15/12 8:17 am
Struggles...lack of exercise due to rain/heat/finances. Doesn't mean I can't walk but I HATE getting bug bit and it seems I wear a sign that says "bite me" for mosquitoes. They LOVE me...so I stay indoors.

Victories...got much more protein in this week. And went on a "pack walk" with the puppies to Norris Dam State Park and walked the River Bluff Trail....wore the puppies out so badly they came home and collapsed too tired to even EAT! It was 3.36 miles in length and varied 340 ft in elevation from the low point to the top of the ridge.

Getting out because of the puppies DOES help.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 7/15/12 8:49 am
It has been hard to exercise.  Seems like we had a storm every afternoon when I got off work last week.  We have gnats- little bugs that are so aggravating.

Good job on the protein, it really helps alot.  I can't walk with Little Willie, he has to use the bathroom and smell everything-LOL!!  Wow-that was a great walk.

Linda
ruxanby
on 7/15/12 9:39 am
Success if definitely protein shakes for me, in fact i have upped them!  I need to stay full...once I hit the empty feeling mark I and up eating junk.  I knew maintenance would be hard but I struggle.  I am 10 lbs more then I want to be but still comfortable.  I do see my surgeon on Tuesday for a follow up from my emergency surgery back in Nov and while he does not offer plan advice he is still an inspiration...I love that man! 

I have scheduled and apt with a new nutritionist and my hubby is going with me.  I am excited about that!  Carbs are my enemy as with everyone else!  I have been trying to eat fruit instead and while high in carbs it feel better then the junk. 

For mothers day my hubby bought me a pear one.  It is a device that connects to my pod.  I love it and started using it this week in hope to run a 5 k at some point in the fall.   I feel like running is good for me and I need to stick with it as I burn the most calories doing it.

My struggles....wine in the evening.  I love to have a glass after my son is in bed. it is bad and I usually want a snack after it but we currently have none in the house so I figured it is best that way.  out of sight out of mind.

Sheri
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

lerkhart
on 7/15/12 10:29 am
Protein Shakes really help me in between meals too!!  My NUT does not like for us to use them, but I've tried before not to and I find myself snacking so much more.

I tend to gain a little when I eat a lot of fruits.  I don't know if it is the water in them(watermelon and cantaloupe) or what.

Congratulations on working on the 5K.  I love to run.  It really helped firm up my stomach and waist area.  It burns lots of calories!!

As long as you can control the wine, you are probably ok.  Lots of people have a glass of wine in the evening. 

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction to get the 10 pounds back off.  I really find that posting on Roz's Menus and Miles everyday helps me so much with my accountability.

Linda
Kermit P.
on 7/15/12 10:31 am, edited 7/14/12 10:32 pm
Struggles...exercise...just do not want to do it!!! I am making myself exercise three days a week (this is low for me) but I am not enjoying it.

Victories...I bought a used eliptical off of Craigslist this week. I have been debating dropping my local gym membership as I have been using the one at work some and with my lack of motivation it does not seem right to pay for a monthly membership. BUT I know I must have a plan for getting movement in so the eliptical is a compromise. I also look forward to summer being over...when it is cooler out I enjoy walking and may start running again. It is a definite struggle for me right now.

Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views